Re-Register a previously Expired Credit Card

Toaster_F
New Community Member

Previously I had a credit card attached to my account.  It was great, bought lots of things, used it often.

Eventually this credit card expired and I neglected to update my paypal.

When I got around to update my paypal the card wasn't allowed back into the system.  I get the error message:

"This card has been disabled for entry into the paypal system"

This card has the same last 4 digits as the previous one but is deffintely not expired yet.  I use it daily.

Dealing with support on this has been frustrating to say the least.  Half a dozen emails all resulted in "Here's how to navigate into your profile page and add a credit card sir, kay, thanks, bye."

I've been back and forth with paypal support over this issue several times which has been nothing but a waste of time.

Can someone here help me?

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

james_k
Contributor
Contributor

I have also received a expired card notice today.(feb 28 2011) I am shocked to find no custumer support avalible.My card is not even truely expired yet.It is good untill 2013.I think pay-pall might have been hacked,or infultrated by some virus.I automaticly asumed a accredited safe site like this was monitered by a human. It so far seems to be fully automated by a programed set of responces.I am going to push like a mad man to find out what is going on.Someone needs to alter or check the scrip that this bot is following. And if it can not be done then all the banking and credit institutions need to be notified of this problem. To me this is paramount to a huge security failure.If you have found any info yet please leave a responce to this post.I will alow notification when posts are made.

Login to Me Too

autumn
Contributor
Contributor

James K are you sure that the email was from Paypal? Since your credit card isn't really expired you could have received a spoof email.  I'm not sure how you tried to reach paypal customer service but if you sign into your paypal account, on the bottom of the page click on the contact us button and that will lead you to customer suport.

Login to Me Too

james_k
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your responce.Hopefully it will work.I am supprized that no one answered first post as fast. Bye the way I know it was a legit origional message,because imedietly folowing original e-mail from pay pall I received a suspension notice from another source stating pay pall refused to autherize payment on a monthly withdraw.

Login to Me Too

Toaster_FF
New Community Member
Yup, so... Here's the low-down. No it wasn't a fraudulent email. I sent them the support request so... yeah? More importantly... after speaking with someone from paypal on the phone I discovered I have only 2 options. 1. Get a different credit card. 2. Register a new email and register the old card with that email. Basically the paypal system is broken in regards to this as far as I can tell. They have protection against registering previously expired credit cards (for security?.. yeah, okay) except it can be bypased by registering the same card on a different email address. How does this protect anyone? That's right! It doesn't. Joy.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

james_k - When a credit or debit card is registered to PayPal, PayPal does not receive notifications that the expiration date has been updated.  So if you have since received a new card, but your account wasn't updated by you, PayPal would still be running off of the original expiration date that was given to us.  In most cases, this is the cause of "early" expirations, but it certainly is not a hack of our servers - in fact, PayPal has never been hacked. 

Other instances of early expiration are basically "one-off" situations.  One of our service representatives might be able to research your account and determine if this is a "one-off" scenario or it was simply old card information; just click on the "Contact Us" link and shoot us an email or a phone call.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

james_k
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding.The old card date was still good till 2013 as well.It was replacement for damaged card.There will be a message report sent.I need to know if all is good or if I need to get another different card # now.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Ah-ha!  That makes perfect sense now.

The first card you had registered with PayPal was probably the card that was damaged and later replaced.

While you received a new card, with the same card number and expiration date, the security code on the back of the card would have changed.

So, if PayPal tried to charge the card - which it sounds like we did - the card company could have responded stating the card was expired, because we still had the old security code on file.  While there certainly are other ways they could have responded that might have been more clear (and less worrisome), it would make sense if that's what happened and why PayPal sent the message that it did.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

james_k
Contributor
Contributor

I will post the results when I receive them.The card info.was swaped in november ,2 days after card was activated.I would have thought that it would show as a problem in less than 3 months. Same day I received notice of expiry,I started receving failure of payment notice's. I am sure it will all work out eventualy. I just hope I receve notice of next step?( Or if all is good.)   1 failure notice is ok because collector not pushy.But  that card is spacific for pay-pal and monthly e-bills.So I hope I get info before anything else fails.( It is my only card.LOL. transfer in funds then realease for pay pall.My own seperate anti didgy theft insurance..LOL.)    

Login to Me Too

unicornlover64
New Community Member

Adrian - i too have the same problem with my credit card.  my expiry date is also 2013.  i have been using the same card for last couple of years.  what gives??  i tried updating it in the system but it will not accept my card information. my credit card company says there is no problem with my card and that the problem is with paypal. please advise

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.