Is this genuine??

mandy22470
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just received email from PayPal? saying my account was limited because of a security risk. There is a form attached that has to be filled in to reinstate my account. But they are asking for password and debit card details. Is this right? My account looks fine how do i know if it is limited? Will it only show if i try to make a purchase. Havn't done anything with it yet. ANyone else had one like this.?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Beccaroo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I received one of these messages too & was immediately suspicious.  Any email asking you to respond with passwords, card details etc should be treated with extreme caution.  Instead of doing what the email asked I logged into my paypal account - according to the 'Help' section if access to an account is limited you will receive a message when you log into your account explaining why this has been done.  Since I didn't receive such a message & there's no unrecognised activity on my account I'm pretty certain that the email is a scam & will be deleting it from my email account - hopefully you've done the same.

Best Wishes

Rebecca

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hey guys,

I would be nearly 100% sure that the emails you both received are not genuine PayPal emails. If you are advised in the email that your account has been limited or restricted, the best way to check would be by going directly to your PayPal account. If you do not see anything when you log in, more then likely the email was not sent by PayPal.

You should also check the greeting. We always address you by your first and last name, or the business name on your PayPal account.

See if the email asks for personal information. A PayPal email will never ask you for any of the following:

• Bank account numbers
• Debit and credit card numbers
• Driver's license number
• Email addresses
• Your full name
• Your password, or answers to your PayPal account security questions

Check for attachments. We will never send an attachment or software updates to install on your computer.

If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it from your mailbox.

Take our 'Fight Phishing Challenge' to learn 5 things you should know about phishing. You'll also see what we're doing to help fight fraud every day.

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click 'Safety Advice' at the top of the page.
3. Click 'Learn more' under 'Safety Tools' near the bottom of page.

4. Click 'Learn more' under 'Fighting Fraud' in the middle of the page.
5. Click the 'Take the quiz' link under 'Fighting Fraud' on the left hand side of the page.

Every email counts. By forwarding a suspicious-looking email to spoof@paypal.com , you can help keep yourself and others safe from identity theft.
I hope this information helps Smiley Happy
David.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.