Is this a scam!!

rickylee2016
Contributor
Contributor

Dear rickylee1989 You have successfully made a payment of GBP 20.37 to XXXXX. This transaction was made using your PayPal account. on 17/01/16 and the charge will appear on your account statement as a debit by: XXXX. You have the legal right to cancel your order for items purchased through PayPal for 5 business days after the day you receive them. Merchant Reference: Order ID 12936194420 If you need help with this transaction please contact XXXXX. Thank you PayPal Customer Department

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines. Personal information cannot be posted.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Anneh1503
New Community Member
I've had same email! You had any response from PayPal.
Login to Me Too

rickylee2016
Contributor
Contributor
Nah I haven't they didn't even get back to me but considering nothing has shown up on my actual PayPal account and the email they used don't exist on PayPal I think it is a scam tbh, PayPal say they always address you by your full name these address's me by an email address name, so I'd just keep an eye on your account and bank. No payments or anything like that have left my account so I wouldn't worry too much
Login to Me Too

rickylee2016
Contributor
Contributor
But thanks for getting back in touch PAYPAL!!
Login to Me Too

Jennifer8313
New Community Member

I got same email yesterday, but it is my correct email address, but charges not showing up on my acct. Mine says payment of 92.37 to XXXXX the charge will appear on statement to XXXX

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines. Personal information cannot be posted.

Login to Me Too

DayKart
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same thing happened to me using a GetPaid app. I also went to the apps Facebook page and the link on that page is dead. Notified PayPal of circumstances and got same repsonse.

https://www.facebook.com/getpaidapp/

Login to Me Too

GameRhino
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys, 

Turns out, this is a common issue. After doing some research i found that (company name removed) is actually a ltd based in the united emirates. They are a game key supplier, with their own game store (company name removed). Recently I have actually made purchases on (company name removed), only to find that's who it was. However this was way after i got the charge from (company name removed) and are definitely not related. I have actually spoken to (company name removed) about this, to no avail. They are not very good at replying to emails. From what i have gathered they are a well established company. They have many large partners, some include activision and EA. Despite this i do believe something shady is going on. This issue appears too often and is too common for it to be a mistake. If you search them in google, it's the second thing to come up. Tell me what you guys think, i look forward to hearing your opinions! 

Best regards, 

Thomas Evans, GameRhino.co.uk

(Post edited by moderator to remove merchant name. This is inline with Community Guidelines.) 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Guys,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum. 

If the email contains a Merchant name please be advised that the Merchant is not responsible for spoof emails that contain their branding. These spoof emails would not be related or instigated by the Merchant and they would not be aware these emails are even in circulation.

If you think you have received a phishing email please forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox. Please review the below information to assist you in determining if an email you received is a phishing attempt:

• It begins with a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always begin with your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • It asks for financial and other personal information. Our emails will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. We'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • It asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item before you've received the payment into your PayPal account.
  • It includes a software update to install on your computer.

Thanks

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.