eBay Dispute Refunds / Third Party Payout Going Towards Total Sales?

HipHop615
Contributor
Contributor

I had a look at my Year-To-Date Financials and I was curious why my total sales were so high, I am only at $18,XXX and it says I am at $22,XXX.  After looking at Activity Report Export CSV File it looks like it factored in two eBay Refunds / Disputes that were when I was a buyer.  One was for $4,100 and a second one was for $491.03.   They are labeled in the CSV file as a "Payment Recieved" & "Third Party Payout".    Since these two transactions are going towards sales it's going to automatically generate a 1099 next year.  I DO NOT want to pay taxes on a refund I recieved.  That makes zero sense.  Anyone have insight? 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if the seller refunded from the original transaction,it would not be counted as sales.

if you do get a 1099k next year,just deduct these 2 amounts from the total.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

1099 is always gross,deduct returns,refund,chargback fees,sales tax.

Login to Me Too

HipHop615
Contributor
Contributor

Correct I understand that; that is why I am confused as why it is going toward "Total Sales" in my year to date financial reports produces by PayPal.   I called PayPal and they said "Third Party Payouts" may go towards sales when it simply is NOT A SALE.  It is a refund on a hich ticket purchase that was never sent to me so I had to go through eBay Resolution center.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

when you do your income tax return,just deduct that amount.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.