Refunding a buyer on eBay

kasperkes02
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, My question concerns this: I have been a seller on eBay for about a year now and this is my first refund I've ever experienced! I sold an item on eBay and the buyer contacted me cause they changed their mind or something, within the 30 day period, so I accepted the return to initiate the refund, I now have the itm back and did my part on eBay so the buyer will get their money back. Today I got an email saying that the bank acccount conected to my pay pal account denied the transfer of funds for this refund. I got another email about an hour later saying that the refund was given to the buyer, from my paypal account in form of an e-check. My question is this, Paypal had an automatic hold on the amount of the refund. They do that as soon as the buyer says they want a refund, so why did they try to give the buyer money from my bank account, that I keep empty, instead of automatically giving the buyer the refund from the money they have been holding from my paypal account itself?? I ask this because it's been one of those weeks and I now have another refund I have to do for a buyer, on a more expensive item, but again, paypal or ebay had put an automatic hold on the amount that the refund is for. So when I click the button for them to give the money back to the buyer, will they try to issue the money from my bank account or will they hand over what they have been holding in my account?? I guess I'm asking WHY?, If anyone has any experience with this I'd be greatful! Thanks for reading and for your help!!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@kasperkes02  I read your post and am a little confused.  Let's try some details.  If a Buyer processes a Return request through eBay's Resolution Center you get a message to accept it with some options on shipping.  If accepted you wait for the item to be returned within the time the claim allows.  Okay, now, the item comes back, what I've seen is a message from eBay that you simply click on and the refund is completed with the Buyer ... I have never run into any "holds" on $$ during a properly processed Return claim.

Next, do you tend to drain your PayPal account of $$ so what might have happened is you don't have enoough in the account to cover the returns?  If that is the case I believe PayPal can dip in to your checking account for the $$.  I typically keep a good amount in PayPal in the unlikely event of a refund on a higher dollar item.

I've only done a few refunds on returned items and have never run into the situation you describe .. if they are holding $$ I am unaware of it and have enough in the account to refund the Buyer ...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.