Sell an item on eBay and accept payment on PayPal

Sarah121
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i am new to PayPal and eBay.  I am selling a single item on eBay and need to accept payment via PayPal.  When I set up my PayPal account, the system asks if I want to connect a credit card or bank account to make purchases.  I do not want to use PayPal for purchases; I just need to accept a single payment.  How do I do this?  What type of PayPal account do I create?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sarah121 In order to Sell on eBay and use PayPal you need to link a bank account (checking) and credit card to the PayPal account and you do that on the PayPal web site, they have a step by step process for you to follow.  Then when you create your eBay listing(s) there will be a check box to Accept PayPal for payment and a window to put your email address in so the $$ gets sent to your PayPal account from your Buyers.  Buyers can NOT see your email address just so you know.  That's pretty much how it works.  Once you have built up $$ in PayPal you can transfer it to your bank account electronically which is extremely simple.  I am sure you may be leery of this type of arragnement but keep this in mind:   Last year eBay published that they have over 25 MILLION registered Selling accounts and over 165 MILLION registered Buying accounts.  So the system is obviously pretty safe.

And while initially you may not plan to use PayPal to buy anything with we have found it very beneficial to use it for that purpose.  PayPal support many different businesses and we can use the $$ earned from eBay sales to pay for other things ...

Login to Me Too

Sarah121
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.  You mention that I need to connect my bank account and a credit card to my PayPal account.  If I don't plan on making purchases through PayPal, do I still need to connect a credit card or can I just connect a checking account since I just need to be able to accept this payment?

Thanks again!

Sarah

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sarah121  My understanding is that the PayPal account needs both credit card and bank account linked. I know you don't plan to buy with your PayPal account but one thing it is used for is to pay your eBay Final Value Fees on items you sell.  That's how eBay is set up.  Here is a link from the eBay Help Pages on PayPal and through it you may gain more knowledge of the relationship between eBay & PayPal.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/paypal-payments.html

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You do not need to link your credit card when you open an account,but when you decide to buy,using your bank account,your payment becomes an echeck and takes longer to clear,if you link a credit card,it is an instant bank transfer.

Your account is confirmed when you link a creditc ard,meaning your address is confirmed,your account is verified if you verify your bank account.

after you link your bank account,Paypal will send 2 small desposits to your bank account and come back and tell them what they are,this is how they know you have access to your bank account,name must match exactly to your Paypal name.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sarah121  I hope your set up is going well ... just post here if you are able to set up a Selling account for eBay using PayPal without a credit card linked to the PayPal account.   Thank you. 

Login to Me Too

Sarah121
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Yes, I linked a checking account to my PalPal account in order to receive payment for the item I am selling on eBay.  I did not link a credit card. 

Thank you for your help.

Sarah

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sarah121  You are more than welcome and thank you for bringing your question to PayPal's Community ... many here ready & willing to help.  All the best to you with your Selling efforts.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.