Switching my default payment method

missdogmom
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to switch the default account from which my payments are taken. After checking for a PayPal account balance, PayPal currently takes the money from my bank account, unless I manually change it to my credit card, which is what I always do. To eliminate these extra steps, I would like to set my credit card to be the default after any PayPal balance. Is there a way to do this?

Login to Me Too
86 REPLIES 86

cyates1
Please switch my default payment method to the visa card you have on record. Do not use my checking account from Suncoast Credit Union any more. Delete checking account from your records please. Checking account has been charged for last 3 transactions and I can't figure out why. Credit card - Visa -should be used
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Erica

Hi Cyates1,

We cannot take any action on your account from the forums. You can edit the available funding sources through the Profile section of your account to remove any options you don't want to use. If you need help please reach out to one of our customer service channels and we would be happy to assist you!

Login to Me Too

fig4159
Contributor
Contributor
This thread is the perfect opportunity for Paypal to provide either a link to instructions or actual instructions on how to change the default payment method. instead of referring people to call Customer Service. I've Googled this very issue repeatedly only to find many different methods, all wrong, probably outdated. The fact that I can't even find this information on Paypal's website doesn't exactly instill me with confidence! I just bought something on eBay for $1.09 and it was charged to my Bill Me Later account, even though I have over $30 in my Paypal account! It's ridiculous that I can't access this information as easily as I used to, it's been hidden!!!!
Login to Me Too

KJHxx
Contributor
Contributor

Even PayPal's own help instructions are incorrect. I've got ample funds to cover a $4.75 charge, but the *PayPal's* "preferred" method of accessing my funds cannot be changed. Thus, the charge will not go through. 

As a previous poster said, this is a common enough function that this is a PERFECT time for PayPal to cut and paste the real instructions for changing your default payment order, or provide a link, instead of telling people to call Customer Service. That poor judgment is a waste of time and resources.

Login to Me Too

cocojr03
Contributor
Contributor

I'm simply trying to change the default payment method from the paypal credit card to my paypal balance.  The help tells me to go to settings.  The only thing I can find is "my settings" but it leads me nowhere.  I'm frustrated trying to find this.  It should be and prob is very simple I'm just overlooking something.  Help tells me to do the following.  I can't find "settings" anywhere when logging in in the first place.  any help?  

1. Log into PayPal.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Choose Payment preferences.
  4. Click Show under In-store checkout.
Login to Me Too

LINBUR0100
New Community Member

Here are the instructions for changing to or from BillMeLater as your primary source. It would not let me be any more specific in my preferences than to either have Bill Me Later as my preferred method, or "other sources" as my preferred method.

1. Hover over Profile and then click Money. (Not one of the options under Money. The actual word Money).
  2. On the My Money screen, to the far right of your Bill Me Later listing, click Update.
  3. On the upper right, there is a box called Manage Bill Me Later Account.
    --If Bill Me Later is currently your preferred method, click Change.
    --If Bill Me Later is not currently your preferred method, click "Make Bill Me Later My Preferred Payment Method."
  4. Save your new settings.

As to making the credit card preferred over your bank account, etc. I cannot seem to find any way to do that...

Login to Me Too

Percible
New Community Member

Spot on.  Thank you for sharing what paypal hides from us.  If they were not the most well-known way to send money on the internet, I would stop using them because of this silly stuff.

Login to Me Too

LLovePPugs

I need to change my default payment method BACK to my credit card.  I never switched it to my bank account.....when I go thru help there is NOTHING to tell you how to chage back to your default....only things that tell you to change your default.....HOW?

Login to Me Too

RugbyFan
Contributor
Contributor

Cyates1 did reach out.  And you did not tell him that PayPal screws everyone over by deducting payments from the saved bank account, even after setting a credit card as the preferred payment method.

It's only getting worse, with these one-click payments. They do not give you a choice of payment method, it comes directly from the bank account.

I recommend to everyone that they should delete the saved Bank Account in their PayPal wallet.  Only add when you have received money and need to transfer it. And delete it again once transferred.  It might be a hassle, but you will save on bank fees.

Login to Me Too

Grand-Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Given it just cost me 145$ in fees over Paypal's breach of trust by suddenly switching from my Visa card (which I've been using for my last 60 transactions, I was using a master card before) to my banking account. For sure I will close all their links to by bank accounts. Snaeky little fu$%ers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.