Old E-mail addres on invoices

SunflowerBB
Contributor
Contributor

Last week I updated my Profile with a new e-mail address and made it primary, then deleted my old one which is no longer in use. It is the only one now on my profile. Today when I recieved a payment, the e-mail notifications PayPal send still show a link for my old address.

The payment appears to have processed correctly, and everything actually goes to and from the correct address despite the fact that the new one does not appear on any of the invoices or confirmations. What can I do to stop the old address from showing?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SunflowerBB,

I found the answer! I overlooked a setting. Smiley Embarassed

The email that's showing on the receipts is the Customer Service Email, and it needs to be adjusted in your Business info section of your Profile.

Go to Profile > My business info > Business information, then click Update and then the Edit button at the bottom of the page that loads next. You'll be able to update the way your email address appears in communications to your customers.

Please let me know if that resolves it for you.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

bigjoet
New Community Member

Having the same issue, I entered a new primary email that matches my business name, it is set as primary, yet the receipt that the customer receives shows my personal email I used to open the original paypal account.

I read about child accounts, not sure if this is the fix, but I could not find anything on how to setup.

NOTE: Using Standard Pro

Also, payment received notice does not go to the new primary email, but to my old email.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SunflowerBB and bigjoet, and welcome to the forums!

I think I know what happened here. I'd be happy to clarify.

When the payment was sent to the new email address that you were adding to your account, I'm guessing that it was not yet at that time added to your PayPal account and confirmed. In the process of merging the new activity into your existing PayPal account, the notification was sent to what was at that moment the primary email address on your account. Having since then switched out for a new primary email address, you can expect subsequent communications to happen with the new email address.

Please come back and let me know if that answers your questions, or if it's still going on with new payments.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SunflowerBB
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I waited a few days more to see if it needed time to clear, but that didn't help.

When I first added my new address, I did confirm it. Only then did I delete the old one (which is now defunct).

All mails do send correctly to my new address - only the receipts/pmt confirmations to the customer still contain an email link to my old address (this just opens a new mail message). Everything works fine, only my old address should not appear. There is only the one address anywhere on my PayPal account, and the invoices are just not picking up on this one. What should I do?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SunflowerBB,

Is this happening on all new transactions, or just the one transaction that was the linking point between the two addresses? If you're getting new transactions sent to you now, are those customers getting the old email address in their receipts?

If so, please contact Customer Service so that a ticket can be filed and technicians can see what's going on. That's definitely something that bears examination.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

SunflowerBB
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, the old e-mail address is showing up on the new transactions. I will go ahead and open a support ticket and post the results - I do appreciate your time.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

No problem!

Please do come back when you have a resolution. I'd be interested in finding out what happened.

Feel free to stay and poke around in the Community. You may have answers to others' questions, and there's a Social forum where you can Introduce yourself, too. 🙂 The Community thrives on the participation of its members!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

SunflowerBB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I received a reply from Support that confirmed everything is updated in my PayPal account (which I knew, since everything was going to the right address). They suggested updating the PayPal buttons on my merchant side. I replied saying that I've never created buttons, since the 3rd party merchant goes right from the checkout screen to "Login to PayPal to complete payment." So there is no button history to update/change. I haven't heard a response yet.

I am beginning to think that my only alternative is closing my account and starting from scratch with a new one, to get rid of whatever residual is causing this old email to stick. It's still showing up on the receipts.

One more thing - would you know if it's correct that I have to manually 'Accept payment' when it is posted to my account? Just making sure that this is normal and not related to the e-mail issue.

Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi SunflowerBB,

I think that information actually narrows things down and I can help you resolve this!

The third party merchant you're using has settings that direct the customer to your items. There is very likely a setting that will need to be changed in your account with them, so they're directing the purchaser's funds to the right account.

Please let me know if this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

SunflowerBB
Contributor
Contributor

Based on what you said, I decided to run a test and try to eliminate whether it's on the merchant side or Paypal side.

I made a personal transfer of $.02 from my PayPal account to a colleague's PayPal - completely independent of the merchant or my online store; just a quick funds transfer. On the notification sent to my colleague, it gave my business name - but on logging in to see transaction details, there it was - the old e-mail address. It is listed as the "Customer Service" contact (which of course has been updated). So under any circumstances my PayPal account is used, even apart from the merchant, this address is still attached. Therefore it can't be in my merchant, since I never used my old personal address there, and the e-commerce wasn't even set up until after the PayPal Standard was in motion.

I'd hate to have to close the account and re-open, but I'm running out of ideas. Any other suggestions are welcome...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.