Credit card vs. bank account as primary method of payment for purchases?

SybS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I mostly use PayPal to make purchases rather than receive payments from others (although that happens on occassion as well). Currently, PayPal defaults to my bank account whenever I make a purchase. I would like it to default to my credit card, and only use the bank account on the rare occasion I receive payments. How do I do that?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From what I worked with, you can't change the way it works.  The work around is when you're going through the checkout process.  During checkout, click on Change or More Funding Options under Payment Method on the review page.  On the next page, select the payment method you wan and click Continue. The payment method you selected will be used after your PayPal balance.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From what I worked with, you can't change the way it works.  The work around is when you're going through the checkout process.  During checkout, click on Change or More Funding Options under Payment Method on the review page.  On the next page, select the payment method you wan and click Continue. The payment method you selected will be used after your PayPal balance.

Login to Me Too

SybS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do change it during checkout, I was just hoping I could set a default somewhere...

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Sybille

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

laverne1936
New Community Member

i want to have my credit card as the primary source of payment after paypal account is empty how do i change from  the present way of using bank account

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As previously posted, you can't change the funding source order.  There's no features or options available to allow you to that. 

Login to Me Too

broadcaster
New Community Member

Actually, last month I was able to set my credit card as my default, primary payment method. They have removed this feature probably as of January of this year. I was just looking to reset it to default to my credit card, since I had to get a replacement card due to fraud, and I now see this feature is no longer available.

I think this rather annoying, and feel that I might steer away from Paypal.

Login to Me Too

RogerJ
New Community Member

i have everything set up but when i click other forms of payment, all i get is E-check, when i want it to use my debit card. i dont understand why i dont see debit card option when i have it all set up and before i added bank account it worked fine. please help

Login to Me Too

GMCH
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to chanage the routing number on my debit card to match the credit card I was using on paypal from the same bank.  Paypal refused to change it and kept dipping into my other baik account refusing to look at the fact that the crediut card that I was using got mixed up with another one of my bank accounts at that same bank.  Paypal kept me on "hold" for over an hour and wouldnt answer the phone cal,l also wouldn't acknowledge that they were doing this.  The routing number on the debit card I was using was legitimate.   They said it wasn't.  I called them hoping someone would answer so I could give them the routing number of my bank.  They wouldnt' answer.  I talked to one person at Paypal who said what they were doidng was not legitimate, but apparently the rest made up other excuses for not adressing this problem.  I think they need to have legal action brought against them.  THEY were using an unauthorized account.  They were looking at the routing number of my primary account  and wouldn't accept the fact that the routing number on the debit card I was using didn't match the routing numbers I had listed on my account.  My account was broken into and I had to change debit cards.  They would not let me back into the paypal site.  Always the 404 error.  I do NOT recommend anyone use paypal now that there are so many ways of breaking into peoples accounts.  That means sacrificing buying on e-bay, then so be it.  Protect your money. 

Login to Me Too

dammers
New Community Member

I agree, this is really annoying. My default mode of payment everywhere is my credit card. That Paypal restricts this is arrogant and incompatible with the real world - as is the fact that you can't register the same card number with multiple accounts in the family even though most couples carry individual cards with their individual names on them that share the same credit card account and number

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.