US to Canada transfer

qzic
Contributor
Contributor

A US friend and I both PayPal have accounts and both accounts are attached to our respective bank accounts. Is there a charge for my US friend to transfer money from his bank to his PayPal account, then to my PayPal account and for me to move that money to my bank account (other than the exchange rate)?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

qzic -

Depending on where each of you are located (I know your friend is in the US, but I don't know where you are), fees may apply:

• for the transfer of funds across international borders
  • for the withdrawl on your end (if fees are charged in your region for bank withdrawals)
  • for any necessary currency conversion

For a full list of our fees, check out www.paypal.com/fees and the Legal Agreement for your own country.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

qzic
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in Canada and it seems that US and Canada transfers are considered domestic not international by PayPal. Thus the confusion. So would fees acpply between US and Canada

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Thanks for the clarification.  That helps a bunch!

So, your US friend won't pay a fee to move funds into their PayPal account (assuming they're keeping it in USD the whole time).  There's really no need to do this, as they can just make a direct transfer over to you using their bank or balance.

If they send a Personal Payment in USD over to your Canadian account, from a PayPal balance or bank transfer, they won't pay a fee to send it over to you.  If they do opt to use a debit or credit card, a fee may apply.

Once you have the funds, you would need to convert the USD to CAD before sending it to your Canadian bank account (exchange rate would apply here). If you're withdrawing less than $150 CAD, a $0.50 CAD withdrawal fee will apply.

If you're withdrawing to a US bank account, you can do so in USD and with no minimum withdrawal amount or fee. 

Full information on our fees can be found here and here.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

qzic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the concise answer but my main question was " does PayPal charge for the transfer. Your website implies that between domestic PayPal accounts it's free. It's also free from bank account to Paypal account. However I have now received a $ transfer from my friend and was charged for the transfer (~2.9%) as well as the currency conversion so I have my answer. I think more clarity about this is needed on your website.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

qzic -

If you were charged a 2.9% fee when the payment was received, your friend either didn't select it as a personal transfer, or they paid via a card and elected to have you pay the fee for a card transfer Smiley Sad 

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.