frequent e-mail phishing

czecher
Contributor
Contributor

I get around one e-mail phishing scam a week lately about my paypal account. I've never lsot money or clicked on any links provided. I just forward the e-mail t Paypal. And iI do change my password as a precaution. Anyone else having this many problems?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @czecher,

Thank you for posting in the community! I'm sorry to hear that you're receiving so many phishing emails. Forwarding them to spoof@paypal.com without clicking any links is exactly the right thing to do! I'm so glad you're not falling for these attempts to gather your info.

In this day and age, it's not possible to avoid receiving phishing attempts entirely. Fraudsters have a million ways to obtain email addresses for the purposes of sending out blanket attempts to trick people into clicking links and providing information. If your email address has ever been posted publicly, that would increase the probability of being targeted, but even people who cautiously guard their email addresses and only use them sparingly can find themselves on the receiving end of a phishing attempt. I've had my own personal email address for about 12 or so years, and I get plenty of phishing attempts from fraudsters pretending to be all kinds of different companies. Most of them don't see the light outside the junk mail folder, but every now and then one slips through to my main folder. I send it along to whatever institution is being spoofed and mark it as spam in my email account.

The best thing to do is keep treating each email you receive with caution. You can learn more about spotting phishing emails here. It's really only necessary to change your password if you think it's been compromised, though changing it every now and then is never a bad idea, as long as you can remember your passwords and you use a unique one for PayPal that isn't used on any other sites.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @czecher,

Thank you for posting in the community! I'm sorry to hear that you're receiving so many phishing emails. Forwarding them to spoof@paypal.com without clicking any links is exactly the right thing to do! I'm so glad you're not falling for these attempts to gather your info.

In this day and age, it's not possible to avoid receiving phishing attempts entirely. Fraudsters have a million ways to obtain email addresses for the purposes of sending out blanket attempts to trick people into clicking links and providing information. If your email address has ever been posted publicly, that would increase the probability of being targeted, but even people who cautiously guard their email addresses and only use them sparingly can find themselves on the receiving end of a phishing attempt. I've had my own personal email address for about 12 or so years, and I get plenty of phishing attempts from fraudsters pretending to be all kinds of different companies. Most of them don't see the light outside the junk mail folder, but every now and then one slips through to my main folder. I send it along to whatever institution is being spoofed and mark it as spam in my email account.

The best thing to do is keep treating each email you receive with caution. You can learn more about spotting phishing emails here. It's really only necessary to change your password if you think it's been compromised, though changing it every now and then is never a bad idea, as long as you can remember your passwords and you use a unique one for PayPal that isn't used on any other sites.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

czecher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feed back. I was starting to feel a little paranoid, thinking I was being targeted for some other reason.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.