Seller wants feedback first

paulnewman
New Community Member

I just won an item, and paid seller $1280 through PayPal. He said he needed the funds released prior to shipping to pay for packaging, but that PayPal wouldn't release funds until positive feedback was left. He asked me to leave feedback, and it didn't seem to risky. Now he says he cant's get funds until he assigns tracking number. I'm getting a little nervous. Today, he called my cell and left a msg.

Am I getting scammed?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Put your very best effort into getting a refund NOW.

You may need to wait a couple days, but file a dispute for item not received just as soon as you can.  

Ignore messages with seller as the seller already is taking advantage of your lack of experience with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

paulnewman
New Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice, but you haven't given me any reason why. And I've been using eBay and PayPal since 1999, so I'm not inexperienced. Just trying to figure out this guy's motives.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well, then you should know that PayPal doesns't release funds based on feedback.  When there is a hold PayPal requires tracking to show delivery; should should already know this.  You should also know that tracking with signature confirmation will be required before PayPal takes a hold off of the funds.

Furthermore, a reputable business would have sufficient cash to pay for shipping costs; it's part of normal business cash flow managment.

I suspect, also that you are paying for an extremely high risk product.

Your money; your risk.

Login to Me Too

paulnewman
New Community Member

This was not a business, but an individual seller. It is a high-price item, but I am under no risk that I am aware of, as my purchase is protected. As I said, I am trying to understand either the seller's motives, or the nature of the scam. I'm not sure why I should need to know the intricacies of people who run small businesses through PayPal. If I did, I would have no need to post. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.