Resolution Center made a bad decision.

BobD1
Contributor
Contributor

I bid on, and purchased, an item on eBay.  When I received the item (a US postage stamp), I was uncertain if it was correctly identified.  I notified the seller that I was sending it for certification.  I sent ther stamp to the American Philatelic Association for expertizing and they certified that the stamp was, indeed, not the one described.  I made a claim with PayPal and it seemed to have ignored all of the evidence I submitted, saying that the stamp was correctly listed on eBay!!   As a result, I paid $315 for a stamp which is only worth $10.50.  I fail to understand how PayPal could make that decision.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what kind of claim did you open with Paypal?

most disputes are handled by robot first and you wil win and asked to return the item.

robot does not read emails or watch movie,

you can try appealing since you have evidence it is not real,or skip Paypal and file chargeback with the cc issuer if you have used the credit card

Login to Me Too

BobD1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi whackAMole,

I went through the complete dispute process, including the appeal - even emailed several attachments highlighing the whole transaction - from the initial posting on eBay to the expertizing results from APEX, which showed that the stamp was NOT correctly listed.  I spoke with seveveral PayPal reps - all to no avail.  It was during this process that I saw that PayPal doesn't accept email attachments - for my protection(?) and I was unable to load ANYTHNG on their site - when I went to the site, nothing worked, to load my documents - I then clicked on every single button, there, with no results.  The whole PayPal process was flawed.  When I spoke with a PayPal rep, 'sorry 'bout that' was the effective response...  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can also fax these documents,just make sure your cover sheet states your case number .

you will get an email from Paypal that they have received these documents.

but if you use a credit card,then file chargeback and send them the APEX evidence.

(The way PAYPAL dispute works is that once the case has been escalated to PAYPAL,neither party can add any new information) but if you appeal,may be you can,I dont know.

BUT try faxing or file chargeback.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This seems to be a new trend with PAYPAL,in the past ,robot will just tell you to return the item so seller can relist and you  get the refund ,the reason why Paypal does that is because Paypal has never seen the item nor does it know who is telling the truth,so why not let buyer gets his money back and seller fights another day by relisting?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It is important to really understand the PayPal buyer protection and policies before your make a purchase.  PayPal does not inspect items before purchase to verify description authenticity.  Click on Legal at the bottom of the page.  The item needs to "significantly not as described"; PayPal explains what that means.

PayPal goes through the process for a dispute.  Item 5 is that PayPal has sole discretion to make a ruling. 

That 's what you accept as policy when you make a purchase.  PayPal can't select a quality seller; that's the buyer's responsibility to research and make a decision.

Login to Me Too

BobD1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I understand and agree with what you have written.  PayPal's decision/response echoed the words you stated.  However, I challenge the definition of 'significantly different'.  The advertised item had a catalog identification of one number with a stated value.  The APEX decision gave it a DIFFERENT identificatiion which had a very different value  (0.0375% of the eBay listed item). It would be similar to list, on eBay, a Ferrari and then delivering a Chevrolet Spark or a Yugo.  In PayPal's opinion, both of them are cars, with four wheels and run.  There would be no significant differerence.  Conversations with reps indicated that emailed attachments had been received.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.