Problem with ebay gift card refund Help????!!!???

paintdan85
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has ran into this problem or not if so please list how you resolved!!! Ok so I bought a camera on 3/10/2016 for $1899.00, with (2) $500 eBay gift cards and the other $899 out of my bank account. The seller refunded my money the same night because he wanted to deal outside of eBay!

So as of today 3/19/2016 the $899.00 out of my bank account was refunded into my PayPal account great! But the two gift cards were supposed to be refunded back to the gift cards supposedly on 3-11-2016, as of today checking though eBay both cards have a $0 balance, same with calling in also, so as of right now i am missing $1000.00!!!!

In the last few days I’ve spent over 10 hours talking to PayPal and eBay getting transferred back and forth back and forth, multiple supervisors and they keep putting the blame on the other company. No one knows where my $1000 is!!!

I’m feeling that I may have to get a lawyer involved to get my money back! Has anyone else have this same issue???

Please help!

Dan

Login to Me Too
39 REPLIES 39

LitDra
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Can you please update your case? Have you received the money back yet? I purchased stuff on ebay by ebay giftcard and I did not keep it any more. Now the seller refund that giftcards and I don't know where is my money too....

Thanks,

Litdra

Login to Me Too

paintdan85
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @LitDra

Well as of now, I still don't have my $1000.00 back, the one supervisor that has been great to work with was suppose to call me back Tuesday 3-29-2016 and never got the call, I waited till 2 days ago and filed a complaint with the better business borough, I had a missed call last night from this supervisor that I have been talking to and she said that she wanted to set an expectation on when I should get my money back by and said that she would call me back today when she gets back into the office.

I will update here after I talk to her again, I'm on the verge of pursuing legal action.

Dan

Login to Me Too

LitDra
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for your update. From your case, it looks like to me it is hard to get the money back for items paid by gift cards!!! 😞 Did not know it would turn out so complicated when using gift cards to purchase stuff on ebay, which it should not be!!!! Good luck to you on fighting with them! I will start my fighting tomorrow by calling Paypal!!! Thanks again! Litdra.
Login to Me Too

Sturgis1948
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan, I thought that I would have the same issues as you with a refund to an eBay gift card because I have never received any reply from PayPal about this. However, my amount was refunded back to my original card number (13 digit).

Please forgive me if you have already checked this and posted this information, as I didn't read through all of the responses but did see on your last post that you still have not received your refunds.

On PayPal in your account summary, find the date of the transaction when you purchased the camera. Listed in this information should be the 13 digit numbers of both $500 gift cards you used. Now go to the date of your refund when the balance from the transaction was posted back to your bank account. When you look at the date of this refund transaction, does it say that this money was refunded to PayPal Gift Card Services?

Now go to ebay.com/giftcard. About 1/4 down on this page is a solid blue rectangle box that says "Check Your eBay Gift Card Balance" with a View Now button. If you click that, it takes you to a new page to enter your 13 digit gift card number redemption code. Enter the number(s) from the PayPal transaction details. This is where I found out that my refund was applied back to my gift card.

Hope this helps if you have not already done so.

Thanks,

Steve

Login to Me Too

paintdan85
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Sturgis1948

Yes I tried that also, it was also reading zero balance there too!

@LitDra@sandypurins@DPCreations

Thank you all for the help, ok so as of Thursday the 14th I got my money back on the gift cards!!! 

I asked them what problem they found, she mentioned to me that when eBay and PayPal seperated as company's ( computer system wise 3-5-2016) they found a glitch in the system, this happened when two or more gift cards where made to make a order, if refunded the system didn't know which gift card to put the money back to. If only one gift card was used it would have went right back, but since I used two gift cards the system didn't know where to put the money. She told me that they found the issue and where currently looking up everyone that had a refund with more then two gift cards and was refusing everyone's money, she told me that they created a fix and that it would go into effect as of today 4/18/2016.

She then went on to tell me that they updated their user policy and eBay is now responsible for eBay gift cards not PayPal, so whenever a problem arises with a eBay gift card, to not go though PayPal, but to go though eBay!

Hope this helps to anyone having any eBay gift problems in the future!

Dan

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@paintdan85

Thanks for the update...

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@paintdan85

Thanks for your research and then the great details.

Login to Me Too

thamster

"she mentioned to me that when eBay and PayPal seperated as company's ( computer system wise 3-5-2016) they found a glitch in the system, this happened when two or more gift cards where made to make a order, if refunded the system didn't know which gift card to put the money back to."

Absolutely not true. I used one card for one purchase and the refund never posted either. They looked into it and looked into it and still have no explanation where it went.

PayPal
 used to post refunds directly back to the eBay giftcard # (it's on the transaction record) as 'PayPal Giftcard Services'. These never had a problem. Somehow that changed in April and they now use a 16-digit bogus 'voucher code' under 'eBay Giftcard Services' which most of the time get refunded back to the original giftcard but sometimes doesn't and they have no clue where it went.

Imagine how much money eBay is making from this.

Login to Me Too

sevillada
Contributor
Contributor

" she told me that they created a fix and that it would go into effect as of today 4/18/2016."

almost a year later, and they have not fixed this issue. I can tell you because i'm having this issue.

It's not the first time either...**bleep** paypal

Login to Me Too

Jv95
I have the same problem but on summary it doesn't show my gift card 13 digit code
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.