PayPal Customer Fraud

missglitz
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way that PayPal can better protect their account holders, instead of penalizing them for false charges?

In late October, I was notified of a dispute by a customer who placed an order in mid-August.   The customer had made two seperate orders and filed disputes for both. The claim was that the products weren't received.

I looked at the tracking numbers and both were actually marked as "delivered."

I found it suspicious that the customer never at least sent me an e-mail first.  Even during the dispute, she never even replied to it. To make a long story short, she won both disputes.  So not only am I out of $107 worth of merchandise, but out of an additional $127. 

The additional $20 comes from PayPal taking out a chargeback fee.  What a way of saying, "Thank you."

After this, I went and sent the customer an e-mail to let her know of what this all caused.  She apologized and said that she originally made the purchase for her granddaughters to use for school, but did not receive them in time and implied that school had already started by and their mother already purchased supplies. 

Mind you...the dispute was filed behind the claims that she never received the item, so her e-mail shows that she filed her dispute on a lie.  I also find it odd that she filed a dispute after the fact that she had them with her all along.  (If one orders a product that they decide they no longer want because their needs have changed, any person would morals wouldn't file a dispute all while they still have the products.)

Although I lost the dispute, it's because of issues like these that it isn't fair that I get an additional $20 taken from my account because now I'm being robbed by TWO entities instead of one.  Your customers aren't all big corporations that have money to burn.  Some of us are small business owners who use this money to feed our families.

Could you please look into how you handle situations like these?  I've had an active account for about 13 years now, so you've made profit off of me.  We deserve it.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

missglitz
Contributor
Contributor

I would also like to add that her products were received within three days of purchasing.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

when buyer files dispute of item not received with Paypal,Paypal will ask you to upload trcking,once tracking shows it has been delivered to the buyer address in Paypal payment email notification and the item is eligible for seller protection,then you win the dispute.

In your case,buyer files chargeback with the credit card issuer ,you lost the case and credit card issuer slaps you with a $20 chargeback fee,not Paypal.

You need to understand more of Paypal seller protection and credit card chargeback before you get too deep into selling.

Login to Me Too

missglitz
Contributor
Contributor

Most of your paragraph is understood.

However, realistically, these situations aren't learned until you've been through it.  As long as I have the legal right to sell in this country and through PayPal, I will sell whatever I please, no matter how far along I am in my journey.  Your last snarky sentence was both unprofessional and unecessary.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.