No Buyer Protection for debit card purchase, not paypal account?

tonyandjulie

I made a purchase on the depop app. They said I would have buyer protection through Paypal, even if I used a debit card and did not login to my paypal account.

Now I need to make a claim and depop insists that Paypal protection will cover me, just file a dispute in the resolution center. I told them I can't because it doesn't show up on my account because I didn't pay through my account. Then I read Paypal disclaimers carefully and it seems to me they don't cover you if you didn't pay through your Paypal account. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, Paypal should terminate their account with Depop for misleading so many people. Depop is passing all responsibility to Paypal.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's more about buyer self education than anything else.

If you want PayPal buyer protection, then you make your purchase through PayPal so you have a PayPal transaction.  It seems quite logical to me.

If you want direct purchase through a debit or credit card then use that card and bypass your PayPal account.  Check with your bank debit or credit card in advance to find out what protections they offer.

PayPal does not list in policies that you have buyer protection when you make a purchase outside of your PayPal account.

There was a time when you could phone PayPal support for help when you paid with a direct credit/debit card purchase outside of your PayPal account.  You would need to phone PayPal support and they would find the transaction.  I believe, however, that PayPal stopped even that option.  You could phone PayPal support for help about that.  It will take a lot of persistence.

Login to Me Too

tonyandjulie

Thanks for your reply. I will attempt to call Paypal and see what they say, but I'm not hopeful. As you say, may take more time than it's worth.

btw, I don't think this is about buyer self-education. As an educated buyer, I read Depop's rules and took them at their word, that I would receive buyer protection even if not using my Paypal account. If anything, this is about buyer beware. Depop is hiding behind Paypal by all sales are covered, even those that don't qualify.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Many purchases are about buyer beware.  That's why is it so important understand your options and where you have the best protection.  If you want to rely on PayPal protection, then get your information from Paypal, not Depop.   If you want Credit/debit card protection, then check their policies.

If sellers don't have reasonable return/refund policies about their own system, then find another seller.  It's all a learning process.  The more you know the less chance of being outsmarted by any seller.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.