Item was Signed for, but I Didn't Receive It!

trishkins
Contributor
Contributor

So I ordered a phone from Swappa, which uses PayPal for all transactions. My purchase was insured and it included a signature confirmation.

My package was delivered and signed for , but not by me! I do not have it. I called USPS and they initiated an investigation and gave me a case number, because the USPS agent I spoke with looked at the signature and the name given, and said the signature wasn't legible, and instead of giving a name, the person just gave initials. The agent was flabergasted, and said that the signature given should not have been accepted, and he immediately opened up a case on my behalf.

I'm not holding out much hope that USPS turns up anything, so I'll be out the money I paid for my phone.

Will I have a case with PayPal if USPS turns up a dead end?

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the update and really glad it was recovered.

It shows that it does take persistence and resarch to learn how the USPS works and how needs to be contacted.

Hopefully, others can learn a little from this entire thread and learn how to pursue misdirected mails.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Difficult to predict the outcome.

USPS has several different signature requirements.  Sellers generally selection the lowest cost and lowest protection.

The least expensive option is that ANYONE at the address can sign for the package.

For more cost the seller can select the requirement for an adult signature.

The most expensive and best option is to pay for signature by the ADDRESSEE.  That you you know it got the right person.

In your case SOMEONE at your address signed for it.  My GUESS is that would be suficient for PayPal seller protection.  If you file for non-receipt, you, the buyer, would likely loose with PayPal.

Your best option is to pursue with your local post office AND with a call to the 800 number.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

do you have the tracking number?

go to USPS and enter the tracking number,read how is it delivered and signed for?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

1-800-USPS customer service can also track your package,they have more information than what is shown on USPS website.

Did your seller insure the package?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lancelotme

OP has already said that USPS are investigating as  >>>

So I ordered a phone from Swappa, which uses PayPal for all transactions. My purchase was insured and it included a signature confirmation.

My package was delivered and signed for , but not by me! I do not have it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I would like to know how USPS handles this situation-

The shipment is insured,delivered and signd for,but not by the buyer.

But where was it delivered to ,thats why I ask to see the DC,

does she live in an apt building and someone like the doorman signed and accepted the package?

Does she live in a house,does the tracking shows an address where it was delivered to?

This is rare but it does happen,someone standing around her house and sign for the package,if they know she receives packages often and some could be quite valuable and resaleable.

(Once I was living in an apt complex and I stepped put of my apt,closed my door and ready to go someplace when the mailman came to deliver an EMS package,he asked me to use my key to open my front door,if it opens,then he will give me my package !)

So it is insured,but USPS in most cases,would deny the claim as it is signed for and delivered unless her post office intervenes and admitted they goofed . 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Signature confirmation is NOT required by buyer UNLESS the shipper specifically requests and pays for signature by addressee.  Otherwise ANYONE, child or adult can officially sign.  The mid-price is for signature by ANY adult.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To qualify for Ebay and Paypal seller protection,any payment $750 and above would need signature confirmation.

If the seller prints the shipping label on line via PAYPAL or Ebay,I dont think he can specify which level of signature confirmation.

Is it an iphone?

There was a time theft of iphone  occured inside the carrier warehouse and distribution center,they can tell from the box and the sender name there is a nice phone inside.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.