Item not received- tracking says delivered

aeolianmdoe
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I know this is a common question and I have found many questions that have solutions, but for my own peace of mind I must ask it again, so I apologize in advance. 

I purchased an item ($215) and paid with Goods and Services. Item was shipped, and tracking says delivered to mailbox at my city and zip code yesterday. However, I honestly did not get the package. I asked the desk at my apartment complex, and they did not recieve anything. I asked a few neighbors if perhaps the key to the community lock box was placed in their mailbox by accident and it was not. I will visit the post office as soon as it opens tomorrow to inqure further.

In the event that I just never get my package, what can I do? Do I have a case here? From my research it seems like I would be out of luck, as the tracking says delivered and to my city and zip. I really hope this isn't the case. 

Thank you for your input. 

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

aeolianmdoe
Contributor
Contributor

Of course sellers are not responsible for a secure location for delivery. That is not the point. You are wrong, however, because a sellers mission is to pack, ship and most importantly have the buyer RECEIVE the package. You do not get to ship and forget. Even if tracking shows delievered and there is the buyer claims there is a problem, the benifit of the doubt goes to the buyer first. There will be some people who try to scam the system and that is up to paypayl/ebay to deal with, and I have to say they are not good at that either. You dont deserve to take a loss, no, but that is the RISK YOU ASSUME when you are a seller. 

Amazon is the complete opposite of ebay. They assume all the risk, and as an honest consumer I am shocked at the absolute lack of resonsibility ebay shows to not only its buyers but its sellers. Twice has the USPS messed up while delivering Amazon packages to me in the past year, and both times I was issued refunds on the spot and the package was resent out to me by Amazon. I undestand as an individual seller this sort of service is impossible, but that does not absolve you of the liability and the risk if the customer does not recieve the package. I would not buy from a seller with your philosophy. 

Login to Me Too

pjfresh5
Contributor
Contributor

aeolianmdoe
Contributor
Contributor

This is what you wrote before:

"Doesn't really matter when PayPal and ebay policy say as long as you provide delivered tracking status you are absolved of any worry. I wouldn't sell to a buyer who could intend to just get free stuff by committing fraud and putting the seller in a financial bind . Maybe I should start buyer high dollar items and just instantly put in a item not received claim while I sit in the house and enjoy the product and wait for my money . Because well, I am an honest person incapable of committing such activities. And after all now it's pretty much a library for items you can simply check it out for a few days , intentionally break it and blame the seller instantly so I can return my library item. Who knew ebay would be worse than craigslist one day. Are you even aware of the buyer scams going on ?"

You are missing the point entirely. I am not here to teach you about the concept of risk and consumer protection policies. We are talking about honest people, not scammers. I am fully aware of the scams that take place on ebay. There are buyer scams, and there are seller scams. The fact that one even has to be aware of scams is a tremendous mistep. This is why I will not buy from anyone with less than 99.5% reputation as a seller, and with thousands of sales. Yes, I admit I still use ebay to buy some low value items that are simply too cheap on ebay to pass up. 

Everything you described- that can happen. Unfortuantly that is the RISK YOU TAKE as a seller. Ebay is just a global craigslist that takes fees. Thats all it is. Dont fool yourself otherwise. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.