Item not received, but PayPal still sided with seller

tiffmasterq
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I bought a pair of shoes from a seller via PayPal invoice on January 4th 2017. The shoes were delivered to a different address in a neighboring city on January 18th 2017. I contacted the local post office to try to retrieve the package, but the package cannot be found. So I filed a claim with PayPal on January 27th. On February 9th, I received an email from PayPal saying that because the tracking shows the package has been delivered they sided with the seller.

Why would PayPal side with the seller? The seller obviously mailed the package to a different address (different city & zipcode) and I never received it. I called to appeal the case, but it's been a week and I still haven't heard back from PayPal. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal robot check tracking and if zipcodes match and the status is delivered,then seller wins.

But you said it is a different zipcode,then appeal.

you cant just call,you have to find the case and appeal,there should be a button for appeal.

did you look at the case and see what tracking number the seller uploaded?

there seems to be more cases like this,shipping to a different location in same zipcode like a store which is always open during business hour and someone will accept and sign the package,stores like CVS,Verizon,MAIL dropoff etc.  

Login to Me Too

tiffmasterq
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sumiko,

I appealed immediately last week by calling PayPal and the agent was kind enough to re-open the case for me. I couldn't appeal on PayPal online for non-receipt items, it only had the option to appeal for if the item I received wasn't as described (which is not applicable in this case).

And strangely, it didn't show any notes or comments from the seller when I looked at the case. The local post office informed me that the package was delivered to the hospital in a different zip code. So I guess you might be right, the seller purposely shipped the item to a location open during business hours for someone to accept and sign for. I would think a PayPal rep would easily identify this though, but if they used a robot like you said, then that might've been a technical mistake (cities are next to each other).

I called back today to follow up on the appeal. The PayPal representative agreed that it was clearly a mistake given that the tracking shows it was delivered in a different city. Hopefully they can sort this out soon, otherwise the next step would be to file a credit card chargeback?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

during the building boom,a zipcode which covers a large area could be splitted into several zipcodes but the old zipcode is still good to use.

atfer 13 years,there are some company /sites which tell me my zipcode is invalid,so then I type in my old zipcode and it is fine.

so you just wonder what Paypal is looking at?

could it be possible once upon a time your home and the hospital share the same zipcode?  

Login to Me Too

tiffmasterq
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Sumiko, I heard back from PayPal today and they denied my appeal. I called the customer rep and she said it was because my package was delivered within the "range limit" (within 15 miles of my shipping address). So, PayPal knows I didn't receive the package but because it was delivered to a different city/different zip code 11 miles away, they sided with the seller. Now, on PayPal's website for buyer protection, it says buyer will be protected if package is not shipped to the shipping address. No where does it mention if it's delivered within 15 miles of the shipping address, then it's considered "delivered" to buyer. If that's the case, why would anyone buy on PayPal? Sellers can just ship items to nearby location within 15 miles and will still be protected by PayPal. I asked for a supervisor and she agreed with me and re-opened the case. However I have very little confidence that PayPal will actually fix this. I'm hoping my credit card company can dispute a chargeback successfully. Can PayPal be sued for this fake "buyer protection" policy? It seems like fake advertisement to me. If I had known that 15-mile range would protect the seller/scanner, I wouldn't have bought anything with PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You should win the cc chargeaback ifyou present evidence that it was shipped to a hospital nearby.

see,when a chargeback is filed,it hits PAYPAL because it is Paypal which has the merchant account to accept credit card,and it is not going to eat the loss and the chargeback fee of $20,it will stop protecting the scammer.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you also should report this seller t o the venue provider,whoever it is so it would stop scamming.

There are other cases similar to yours,it is delivered to CVS,restaurant,Verizon store where employee signs and accept the empty package and throw it into the trash can.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.