I Fell for phising scam

IshaqS

asdasdasdasd.PNG

So im fairly new to Paypal, I just got this emial, which was extremely convincing. I clicked on the link which directed me to a "secure" site and i accidently gave away my address date of birth, email, but before I gave away my license i realised i **bleep** up. I changed my payapl password as quick as possible, my main email password, ran malwarebyte for keyloggers and forwarded the scam email to paypal. Does anybod know the implication of giving such personal information to a scamer might be and also what futher measures should i take. I also noticed that the scammers were trying to access my paypal, as multiple SMS with the access codes were sent to me via phone/

Heres an image of the redirected site i found on an article at forbesscam.jpg

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You're probably OK as it seems they wanted access to your PayPal account and you fortunately did not respond to the SMS message.

Your date of birth is not likely too difficult to get from some public records and email address can be discovered.  Other than attempting to access your PayPal account, there isn't a lot to worry about.

I assume your old email address is still with PayPal, so you just need to be extra vigilant for other messages.

NEVER repond to any alerts from PayPal.  Always log on to your PayPal account on a computer to check for alerts.

Also learn how to to recognize real email addressess of senders; the reaal email address my be hidden by a spoof.

Another suggestion.

Before you attempt to do any type of PayPal transaction, spend the next several days reading over various types of issues on the forum.  It can be a grate learning experience.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You're probably OK as it seems they wanted access to your PayPal account and you fortunately did not respond to the SMS message.

Your date of birth is not likely too difficult to get from some public records and email address can be discovered.  Other than attempting to access your PayPal account, there isn't a lot to worry about.

I assume your old email address is still with PayPal, so you just need to be extra vigilant for other messages.

NEVER repond to any alerts from PayPal.  Always log on to your PayPal account on a computer to check for alerts.

Also learn how to to recognize real email addressess of senders; the reaal email address my be hidden by a spoof.

Another suggestion.

Before you attempt to do any type of PayPal transaction, spend the next several days reading over various types of issues on the forum.  It can be a grate learning experience.

Login to Me Too

IshaqS

Thank you, 

Login to Me Too

melann1967
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing but I gave them my social security and my mothers maiden name. What do I do?

@DPCreations wrote:

Another suggestion.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@melann1967

Nothing you can do.  It would be helpful if you had the URL where you clicked to add the information.  Then you could research what happens at that site.

You could monitor your credit reports to see if somone applies for credit in your name.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi  IshaqS and melann1967,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've both had with phishing. This site has some steps that should be taken when your personal information has been stolen. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

melann1967
Contributor
Contributor

Drop paypal use apple wallet.  They not only have these scams but their service is HORRID.  I just had to call itunes to get a refund for a purchase I did not make that paypal gave BACK to the vendor. It's a horrible company and I will tell everyone and anyone to change payment services. Itunes was amazing. Costco where I had the scam from as well was amazing.  Paypal was the inital cause of divulging my information and had to subscribe to lifelock now because of it... they did NOT APLOGIZE and were RUDE.  This was it for me.. they not only created problems with my identity but they refused to give me a refund whereas the VENDOR did themselves.  Total scam bad service.. horrible!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.