Friends and family scam

Williambill
Contributor
Contributor
If I file a chargeback with PayPal even though I paid with friends and family and the crook has closed their account will I be able to get my money back? If I also file a chargeback with my bank even though I payed through PayPal friends and family any luck of getting my money back lost over $1000. They have also closed their PayPal account so no trace but I do have messages
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You chose to use friends/family/gift payment knowning that friends/family was intended to use with no expectation of getting any goods in return.    PayPal will not get your money back for your payment choice.

If you funded with your bank account you could try to dispute for item not received, but your bank will not be happy.  If your bank does pursue PayPal to get money back, PayPal will likely block your bank account from further use.  PayPal could also limit or close your account because you pose too much risk for PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Williambill
Contributor
Contributor
Why would the bank persue PayPal instead of the thief? Can’t they go into their last known account to retrieve my money or can PayPal use the last card or bank account on their file to retrieve my money
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal will do nothing for you.

if you have used a credit card,then file chargeback and tell the issuer you did not receive what you bought.

It will hit Paypal and paypal will ding his Paypal account for $1020.

you said he closed his account,no,he never close his account,Paypal still have the account,Paypal will go after him with a collection agency.

But if you keep doing stupid things like this,Paypal may not want your business anymore.

Login to Me Too

Williambill
Contributor
Contributor
I used a debit card through PayPal not a credit card can they still get my 1000?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.