Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

PayPal Dear ***** My name is *****. I'm a PayPal representative in charge of your transaction with regarding your account status, the total sum of $15,600 USD has been credited to your account, but it will neither be displayed or be available for spending. Due to security purpose, you will not have access to the funds until you send the pick up agent fee of $1,000.00 USD to the shipping company via Western Union Transfer. However, we are doing this to protect both you and your buyer from online scam. However, you will need to send us the following information as soon as you have sent the money for verification and confirmation: A scanned receipt of the funds sent or Western Union Transfer Details. Here is the company pick up agent address below.. Name:  Thanks for using PayPal

Login to Me Too

MetroDubs

i received this email today from "removed"

Your information has been found to be on record under a different account.

If your account gets suspended a reactivation fee of $22.85 will apply if you choose to continue your PayPal Experience.

This charge cannot be waived once the account has been deactivated.

For fastest processing, we are providing a secured link to verify your information.

Please click the link below to verify your information.

Ignoring our request, may result in account limitations or account closure.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,
PayPal Support

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address.
Copyright © 2014 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi MetroDubs

I doubt it

Genuine ppal emails:

1.Always address you as Dear Full Name not Dear member etc

2.Never ask u to click on links/downloads/attatchments

3.Never asks for personal/sensitive info

Always log in to your ppal via the official site

Login to Me Too

ktew
New Community Member

I got this one today. I deleted it.

Dear PayPal Customer,

We're currently upgrading our systems to bring enhanced features to your PayPal Account experience. As a result, your account is temporarily unavailable .

Please download the file attached and upgrade your PayPal Account to our new system .

Note: FAIL TO UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT, IT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY CLOSED.

After this step, you are permitted to access your paypal.com System .

Sincerely ,
Customer Service Team. Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too

I am selling a rv this lady contacts me tells me paypal had my money and she sent me 8000 dollars but I need to send 850 no actually 900 in order to I wasn't a scam mer worse part she claims to be in the service and have her claim to be from paypal

Login to Me Too

temp201909091d
New Community Member

I received this email today. The english was just slightly off and all the k's were in a different font, some sort of small uppercase. Checked the url and it was not paypal **removed** Jul. 09, 2014 Receipt No: ****-****-****-****Dеаг сustomer,Your ассоunt has been tempoгагіlу lіmіted.To save time and be more efficient log on to the online account and complete those easy steps to resolve the problem.  We may ask you to cοnfігm іnfοгmation you specified when you opened youг ассount. This ensures that you are the accοunt hοlder.  Let uѕ wοгκ tοgеther, after you have completed all the steps, we will reply you within 72 hours.  If you can not clіск thе link from different seсuгіty reasons please copy & paste it to your browser: **removed** for using PауРаl - the safer, easier way to pay and get paid online.  Copyright © PауРаl 1999-2014(Europe) S.r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Sorry scammers I will not be giving you my login information thanks anyway. I had to change the fakereceipt number to asteriks to satisy the forum posting rules.

Login to Me Too

ellietheslayer
New Community Member

My father recently used Paypal as a way of receiving money for a bike he put up on Craigslist. At least, that's what he THOUGHT would happen. However, instead of the money going into the account, he was asked to wire $600 to a man (the "pick-up agent") with only a name, city and state- no street address or email address. When he expressed his concerns, the buyer just told him how to verify it by going to a specific email and asking them outright, and as the emails he was getting from Paypal had the logo and looked very authentic, he almost did. However, upon doing a simple Google search (as well as one on this site), he realized that the entired transaction sounded too suspicious and wrote the seller that he would not be pursuing it. The seller replied with the following:

i thought you are aware of it that being an auction payment paypal
will need to verify you as a legit seller to avoid any fraudulent
acts. i have made the payment to you and paypal has deducted your
money from my account. your money is currently hold in your paypal
escrow account. all you need to do now is to go and send the shipping
agent money i added to your money to the shipping company address sent
to you by paypal in your payment receipt via money gram and get back
to paypal with the payment ref number given to you @ money gram so
that your account can be fully credited and so that the shipping agent
can come for the pick up. do justice at your side now to avoid further
delay because auction payment is not reversible. i don't wanna lose my
money.

AND THEN...

i just got a new mail from paypal now. did you also receive any mail
from paypal now? check your paypal email inbox/spam/junk folders and
let me know what they say.

HERE'S WHAT THEY HAD TO SAY (in very big, bold fonts, by the way):

We are getting back to you concerning the question we received from you 

Answer: Yes, You must wire the pick up fee of $600.00USD added to your money to the pick up agent address below from your pocket(your own money) and you will be reimbursed with $2,100.00USD when you get back to us with the payment info like reference number, sender's name and address, text question and answer(if added) the payment will not show up in your account until you get back to us with the money gram payment info. REFERENCE NUMBER IS THE 8 DIGITS NUMBER ON THE MONEY GRAM RECEIPT GIVEN TO YOU AT WALMART AFTER SENDING THE MONEY TO THE HAULER

You are 100% safe with PayPal, and your pending fund with Transaction Id: *----------------* is legit. As per new PayPal rule, Seller Must be confirmed legit by wiring the hauler/pick up agent fee added to his/her money via money gram before the full accreditation of his/her account. So go ahead and wire the hauler fee of $600.00USD added to your money via money gram at any nearest walmart and email us the reference, sender's name and address for verification so that your account can be fully credited with $2,100.00USD ASAP
NOTE: You are sending the money to the pick up agent address below and you have just 6 hours to complete the transaction so that your account can be credited today. PAYPAL WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSE IN THIS TRANSACTION.
****Do Not Call Us****We Do Not Disclose Our Auction Payment Tab On Phone Facilities. to avoid calling error..

Sound suspicious to you? It sure does to me.
Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi ellietheslayer

Genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear Full Name 

Never ask u to click on links/downloads/attachments

Never ask for personal/sensitive info

Never tell u to pay someone else in order to receive payment

Never tell u to ship before payment is received

Ppal doesnt deal in escrow

These are fake emails from your scammer nothing to do with ppal!!

Never ship an item until u see cleared payment in your account

Never accept ppal for an item that needs collecting cash only

Login to Me Too

ben7ley
New Community Member

Hi

Can you explain this email I recieved today?

Is it bona fide?

thanks.

Viz:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please solve this problem sooner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear PayPal customer,

An unauthorized account activity was recently detected on your account.
You must confirm that you own your paypal account. We believe that the
transaction below was made ​​without your consent, so please reconfirm
your personal information.

Seller's name: Skype LTD
Transaction ID: 94801OZLA03948104

Transaction date: Jun 07, 2016
Transaction amount: 35.00 EUR
Your transaction ID: 94801OZLA03948104
Case number: PP-985-015-242-322

We need additional information from you within the next 24 houres. Please log
in to your PayPal account clicking the link below.

Click here to resolve this issue

There, you can enter any information regarding this
case that will help us fight the reversal on your behalf.

Thanks,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Copyright ? 1999-2016 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.? r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Soci?t? en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PPID PP612
Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

not genuine. It IS a scam. Ignore it.

Scam indicators:

-24 hr limit.

-click embedded link.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.