Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

gutterlife
New Community Member

Ok people.  It's not funny when you get scammed,  t is funny however that someone selling an item would get an email from someone asking them to send money.  Whi iun their right mind sends money to someone that is buying an iyem from them???  Common sense has to come into lay at some point.

I have received numerous scam emails from People posing as buyers and paypal asking for money.  My respinse is always a resounding "F%#k off"/  I simply send this response and they stop contacting me.  

I don't think getting scammed is funny but I do fimd it funny that people falll for this mess.  Keep it real and think about it.  

Login to Me Too

cyberpetal
New Community Member

Just received:

Notice of Policy Updates

Dear Customer,

Some information on your account appears to be missing or incorrect.
Please update your information promptly so that you can continue to enjoy all the benefits of your PayPal account. 
If you don't update your information within 72 hour, we'll limit what you can do with your PayPal account.

Link leads to:

Login to Me Too

Metalman59
New Community Member

New email from Service@PayPal said that my account had problems and that I would only be able to "use it on a limited basis" until I clicked the link and filled in the required information.

It looked like a ligitiment Paypal email at first glance.

It helps to know Pay Pals rule's reguarding emails that they do send.

I forwarded the email to PayPal. I don't know if I wasted my time or not by forwarding the fake email, but if it prevents someone from their account being robbed, then its worth it to me.

Metalman59 !!

Login to Me Too

Ilovebeads
New Community Member

I just got the same e-mail today.  I NEVER click on links in e-mails like that.  Instead, I logged in directly to my PayPal account and all was well, so I forwarded the suspicious e-mail to spoof@paypal.com.

Login to Me Too

sherrel
Contributor
Contributor

I've just received a suspisious email which had spoke about a notification of a new payment received. Now, I just know that I've not received any new payment! So, therefore...it had to be a fake! I don't know who the scam artist is...but, whoever the person is...they are really dirty!

Just what are scam artists trying to gain by pulling these wicked stunts?! Just what are they trying to accomplish by trying scam people like they are doing? And, why would they even have the gull to do it? Do scam artists do it because they can do it? Do scam artists really get by with it? Is there money involved in them scamming us?

I just wonder how much scam artists make by creating all these scams! Just what do they get out of it, anyway? Does sending fake emails make them feel good? Do they get off on it....or what?! Have they no remorse for what they do? I guess they just do it...just to do it, huh! I just don't have a single care about what they are doing to us....tryin' to get into our accounts, and get access to our personal infomation...how dare they!!

I might had been gullible enough to have fallen for that fake email the first time...but, to fall for it twice?! No way! Just what do these scam artists think they're tryin' to pull?! Do they really think they're that sneaky? Haven't they got a much better job to do...rather than send fake emails...and, try to get peoples' personal info, and password? I guess not!

It's really sad...that they try to do this. I take it that these folk are really unhappy people who tend to wrip people off...simply becasue they just don't have anything better and worth while t do with their lives! I pity them, a great deal.

Login to Me Too

sherrel
Contributor
Contributor

However...when I'd gotten that fake email that first time, I fell for it, and had logged on at the given website address. I'd not known that very first time. But, as I'd spotted that email in my inbox...I'd then knew that it was a fake email! This time, I'd not taken any action, and I'm glad I didn't!

But, I'd like to speak more about these so-called scam artists. I've read the other posts...and it had inspired me to want to go on ahead, and do another post on this topic.

I feel that this is a very serious issue...and, should be addressed thouroghly.

These scam artists...are very sneaky people. They are really slick...that's if the the person that's being scammed is not aware that they are being scammed. If the person that's being scammed is gullible, they will automatically fall for it!  If the victom  puts too much trust in fake emails...they will believe in them! Also, if the victom is not able to identify when they are being scammed...then, that's when things get scary! Scam artists are up to no good! They have absolutely no remorse for what they are doing...whatsoever! They have no care about the person that they are scamming!

Evidently, they get off on it! They don't care! If scam artists can get away with scamming people...they will do it! If they are given any amount of leverage...they will do it!

It doesn't matter who any of us are...scam artists will scam anybody! And, also...they are stupid! There are some scam artists who are really dumb, as well. We just need to be cautious and not to stoop to their level! We have to recognize them, and stop them in their track!  Scam artists can also be extremely obvious! You can sometimes determine a fake email! But, when receiving the fake email for the very first time, the victom's not going to know...until they learn that is a fake email. Then, when the issue occurs the next time, the victom will know and be on their gaurd.

Another thing, scam artists are stupid! They seem willing to risk getting caught, for some reason, ha-ha! I mean...surely, these folk know that sooner or later they'll  get caught! But, they're willing to risk it, anyway...right? Of course. They'll try again. And, maybe they'll get by with it, next time. NOT!!! Idiots! 

Com'on...where's your common sense? Don't you scam artists know that you don't do wrong and get way with it? You can only get away with scamming for so long...then, eventually they'll get stopped!

The bad will be dealt with...so, the scam artists will most definately be dealt with. So, don't worry, there will be some justice...here! Whoever these people are...they will not get away with this! They will not go unpunished, I promise!

These scam artists will only get away with these scams for only a while...but, pretty soon, they will get caught!!

Login to Me Too

fastkeys
New Community Member

Hi, I received this spam purporting to be an official Paypal email:  Please add to your collection.

(given the posted time, this must've come from China) - It was received here in L.A. about an hour ago.

Hope this is useful,

--fastkeys

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Your account will be closed within 24 hours please verify your account Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 06:04:46 -0500 (CDT) From: PayPal To:  

Please read the updates to the PayPal User Agreement      Notice of changes to the PayPal User Agreement

Hello Dear,

We're constantly working to make PayPal safer, simpler and more convenient for our customers.
This means that from time to time we have to make changes to the terms of our User Agreement.
To make sure you are always informed we have posted recent updates on our website.

What do I need to do?
  •  ,and sing in to your paypal account , update your account info ?
  • Please read the Policy Update carefully. It contains important legal information about when and how the changes to our User Agreement will become effective.
  • If you agree to the changes, you don’t need to do anything as any updates will automatically come into effect. If you do not wish to accept the changes, we’ve also provided you with the steps you can take on the Policy Update page.
Please note that the current User Agreement will apply until these changes take effect.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal
ow do I know this is not a fake email?

An email really coming from PayPal will address you by your first and last names or your business name. It will not ask you for sensitive information like your password, bank account or credit card details. Most fake emails threaten that your account will be in jeopardy if you do not take action immediately. An email that urgently requests you to supply sensitive personal information is usually an attempt at fraud. Also, fake emails often contain misspellings and grammatical errors or are written in a language which you did not set as preferred for your PayPal account. Remember not to click any links in suspicious looking emails.

Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A., Société en Commandite par Actions. Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, R.C.S. Luxembourg B 118 349.

Login to Me Too

Maryrp2

I received this email and noticed it was from my same email account. Well, I didn't send myself an email with the subject line (Update Your paypal Profile Information). As you can see paypal is the only word not capitalized. They used Dear Customer instead of my name. The Update your information now link shows when I put my mouse over it. I looked up and found that it is I believe some arabic language site. I was instructed to contact them at their service account email and not to send emails to that account.

Be very carful.

Take care,

Mary

Dear, Customer. You have to update your PayPal account information. To finish this process, please visit the following link:

If you didn't update your records, your account will be limited. If you have any other questions regarding your account, please use our or contact our support team at service at paypal.com.
The PayPal Team

This is an automated e-mail message, please do not reply directly. You can contact us by sending an e-mail to

service at paypal.com.

© 2014 PayPal. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Login to Me Too

Fraud Alert. Example of how I almost got scammed actual texts I had with this scammer.... three different conversations. Please be aware. I got lucky. (1/3) Hello ... my name is Sara ***** !!.. and am just asking to make sure maybe you still have it 2012 HD Dyna Super Glide Custom w/ (2/3) Security System - $14500 (OBO) for sale if you still have please i will like you to get back to me trough email cause i will not be (3/3) able to update you on my phone so dont even bother to reply on this line so email me at <sara*****>... Thanks....... (1/5) Am I'm just asking about it to make sure its in good condition as im buying it for my cousin as a surprise and he doesn't know about (2/5) it, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it.Im okay with (3/5) the price and condition , I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal)..Do you have a paypal (4/5) account? Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal. my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment (5/5) clears into your account. Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name: Firm Price: (1/9) Got it i will proceed with the payment and let you know but i will need to confirm from the pick up agent that will be coming for the (2/9) hauler about the pick up arrangement so that they can figure it out for schedule..That is why i need you to forward to me your pick (3/9) up location so that they can figure it out for schedule.please do me this big favor, the pick up agent said they won't come for (4/9) thepick up of the item that i will need to pay for the pick up before they can arrange a pick up time, they charged me $1,000 for (5/9) pick up and delivery,i will add $1,100 to the money i will be sending you via PayPal...Then i just need you to help me send $1,000 to (6/9) the pick up agent via western union as i will add the money to your $14,500 so i will be sending the total amount of $15,600 into (7/9) your PayPal account. i would have done it myself but as i didn't bring my credit card aboard,i am a little incapacitated.. I will (8/9) appreciate your help here.As soon as i made the payment PayPal will notify you and tells you what to do and how to go about it.Thanks (9/9) and nice doing business with you.Hope you understand now ?
Login to Me Too

This email was from the Shipping Agent using PayPal's Logos & references. Shipping .Hello ***** This message is originated from pickup agent . We want to inform you that we only choose email messaging as the only secured way to contact our customer, we do not operate via mobile because we have many agent across the world, The given address is correct to make the payment to us through Western Union Money Transfer Only and once it has been sent you will be given a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) You are requested to mail us back with the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) given to you at the Western Union Office including the Sender full name, sender address, amount sent. Below are the Agent information Name: ***** City: Rockford State: IL Zip Code: 61107 Country : United State. pick up agent Email: pickupagent909@***.com. NOTE : You are to send the $1,000 USD to us via Western Union Money Transfer before we send an Agent to you. Kindly go to Western Union with the $1,000 USD and send it to the given address, get back to us once you send the money with the Sender's Name, MTCN number so we can send the agent to you. You can also mail us back if you have any question about this message. Global reach. Worldwide representation. We have Auto shipping agents in over 300 countries.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.