recogniozing fake email address

haligonian
Contributor
Contributor

As a new person to PayPal I had placed my computer on Kijiji and got a response.   I think it would go a long way for the community to physically see examples of the scamming  responses and emails so that they may better see what to avoid when selling or buying items.  Minus the peoples identy of course .

The one thing that I have noticed is that these scammers had copied the PayPal website response forms and format making it seem that the email verification and holding of the funds before providing a referrence number and address was completely legit. The email address of the person who was purchasing my items was legit, but the responses from the (fake) PayPal department is where I saw that something was just not right.  I have heard many people say and PayPal confirms that they don't deal with these 3rd party companies.

Anyway its the email address of the response that set a red flag for me as did the statement that inquiries were only by E-mail.  So I did not send out the reference number and shipping information, but went back to money gram and got a refund right away. Some other people are not as lucky. Below is an expert of the email I received I have highlighted what stood out. I even called PayPal to check on the ID and was asked to confirm the senders email sure enough it was not a PayPal Service email.

Sent: Date of transaction
To:  my email address
Subject: Notification of a instant payment

Merchant  my email address

This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $1,800.00 CAD from ********* via PayPal.

Reversals : This method of payment can not be reversed.

View the details of this pending transaction below 

Payment Details

Merchandise Amount:

$800.00 CAD

Transport Charges:

Total:

$1,000.00 CAD

$1,800.00 CAD

Pending

Quantity:

Merchandise Title: 

Goods

This is to inform you that you are required to send a sum of $950.00 CAD to the address below via Money Gram Money Transfer and get back to us with the relevant information's which you will be provided with after the money has been sent. You are requested to give us the REF# (Reference Number) and the Sender's Name and Address used in making the transfer after which we will then credit the total sum of $1,800.00 CAD into your PayPal account.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the money should be sent via Money Gram.

Name: ********** 
Address : ************
City: ******
State: ********
Zip Code: *******

Address Status:

Confirmed 

We wish to inform you that ******** has made his intentions known to PayPal that he will like $950.00 CAD to be sent to the recipient's address above via Money Gram Money Transfer.

Note: As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, all inquiries should be directed to us by replying to this email. This email is the one being monitored for this transaction because the status of this transaction cannot be accessed via our customer care phone service section. . 

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been " APPROVED" but will not be credited into your PayPal account until the REF# is sent to us for verification which is due to important random security measure that we do carry out on payments to ensure safety. As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per our new PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the Transport/Delivery Charges. 

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your PayPal account. We advice you go to any nearest Money Gram Money Transfer location and send the pick up fee of $950.00 CAD to the buyer's Transport Agent and send us the Money Gram Transaction details by replying directly to their email and you will receive  a "CONFIRMATION E-mail" from PayPal® Service informing you that your account has been credited with $1,800.00 CAD as soon as the above information's has been received and Verified by us.

Your account will be credited accordingly after replying to this email with the details of the Money Gram requested which are the:

(1) REF#; 
(2) Sender's Name; 
(3) Sender's Address; 

Please, understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both the Buyer and the Seller.We apologize for the inconvenience that has caused you. 

Because of the inconvenience this causes we are giving you the next two incoming transfers for free! You will pay no fees for your next two incoming transfers*

PayPal will be responsible for any loss incurred during the course of this transaction.

With more than 147 million accounts worldwide, we are a leading online payment method you can trust!

Thank you for using PayPal.

PayPal Team

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@haligonian

Yep easy to spot  >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service ie moneygram or western union.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.