Buyer wants to change his address on invoice to send as gift, need help

dantheman0809
Contributor
Contributor
I'm currently considering selling something to someone on the /r pchardwareswap subreddit. This is the current transcript: I'll call the person BUYER for privacy. I'll underline the parts i'm mostly worried about.   [–]from BUYER: sent an hour ago Is the 970 still available for $160 shipped? I'm in (zip code). Thanks.   [–]to BUYER sent an hour ago It is.   [–]to BUYER sent an hour ago Do you have a verified paypal?   [–]from BUYER sent an hour ago I do -- you can invoice me at (Paypal email).   [–]to BUYER sent 33 minutes ago So the items being sold are *1 Used gtx 970 evga sc acx-working condition, no box or accessories included. Good cosmetic condition. There's a little bit of caked dust and a few cat hairs on the sticker. Part number 04G-P4-2974-KR. I'll be shipping it in an old 960 box, the serial number on the box pertains to a refurbished evga 960 model. Actual serial is on the GPU itself.   [–]to BUYER sent 27 minutes ago Please confirm and tell me your address. I'll send the invoice once you do. I have class in about an hour and a half so I won't be able to do stuff for the rest of the day, after that.   [–]from BUYER sent 25 minutes ago Sounds good. I'm trying to ship this to a friend as a birthday present, and I got started a bit late, so I'd like to avoid shipping twice, to minimize how late it is, so I was going to give you their address. Thus, the name won't match either my paypal or reddit username. However, I'll set the address on Paypal so it'll go through on the invoice as that address (because otherwise you don't get seller protection unless you ship to the exact address from the invoice). Could you possibly write a note to put in the box? Just "For ______ -- happy birthday" anonymously would be great.   [–]from BUYER sent 24 minutes ago Okay, sounds good. The final address is: (location)   [–]to BUYER sent 13 minutes ago Need to think this over. I'll get back to you tomorrow.   Should I go through with this sale? I don't know much about paypal and I am a bit afraid of sending it to an alternate address. He did say that he would set his address on paypal to match the "friend's" address, would that be good enough..? Am I protected under these circumstances?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The buyer is correct that you will need to ship to address provided with the payment to get seller protection.  On PayPal invoices you can only add the email address so upon receipt of the invoice, the buyer enters their address during checkout.  

These days PayPal do not enforce the confirmed address requirement due to the new checkout flow as users can add gift or alternate ship to addresses (work addresses) during check out.  Just make sure item is shipped to address included with the payment.

On the other hand, if you do not feel comfortable in conducting this sale, you are free to decline.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It would be too suspicious for me.

Your lisiting site invites issues.   Eleectronics invite issses.

You need to make it simple.

Send a PayPal invoice to the buyer (does not need to be buyer's PayPal email).  Invoice needs to display buyer's PayPal mailing and all details about item.  This includes close-up pictures of product.  Anything you think you might remotely need for a dspute needsto be part part of the invoice.

Buyer then pays and you ship to the buyer's PayPal address.  

NO EXCEPTIONS.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.