Beware email saying you made $15 google play purchase-they are trying to steal your paypal login

iamtony0
New Community Member

The email scam in question says that you just purchased 3 5 dollar gift cards from google play. The email formatting matches a paypal email perfectly. The scam with this email begins when you click "This isn't you: Resolve Now" which you would of course click because you know you did not make a google play purchase. That link then forwards you to what looks to be the paypal login page but it is not. I was tricked and typed in my login info but I felt something was wrong. The domain was weird: <removed> (I'm not showing the login link because it is so tricky and don't want anyone reading this to mistakenly enter in their info) Anyways, I first quickly changed my paypal and other important account passwords since I knew they got my info from login. I then went back to login page in question and put in dummy info (fake username / random fake password) and the login page forwarded to another page that stated that your paypal account is now limited with a "Continue" button. Clicking the Continue button then sends you to a page asking for even more personal info (address, maiden name, phone number, SSN!, etc)

What scared me about this email scam is that it fooled me and I am an IT professional. Any normal user will fall for this one without doubt. PLEASE BEWARE!!! 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi iamtony0,

Great job recognizing a scam! I'm glad that you changed your passwords!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

lucious_b
New Community Member
I just received an email that is similar to your email. The one I received stated that I sent a payment of $50.00 USD to Google. With Transaction ID: 228263228263228. I had found it odd as well. I did the same thing. I had changed my password.
Login to Me Too

valentravel
New Community Member

Hi! I write my credit card number info on this fake paypal and now I don't know what to do.

I changed the password of Paypal and my bank account but with the number what can I do?

Login to Me Too

sescrows
Contributor
Contributor

Same just happened to me with a 3 @ $25 charge to googleplay. I fortunately didn't click the link, but instead logged in on to paypal on a dif. computer. The charge was not on there.... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.