Question about advertising using

Watchdog147
New Community Member

I see many instances of people advertising products for sale on forums of all types. One in particular - a hobby site - has a Buy/Sell/Trade forum where members sell among themselves. I have noticed many sellers using language such as this in their items for sale ads:

"I take checks or Money Orders or PayPal. If you want to use PayPal, send the amount as a gift instead of a purchase to avoid the fee."

I have to think this is outside the terms of service and at least just plain unethical. Plus, if someone does this (they get what they deserve for being dishonest) but if the merchandise doesn't show up - I would guess any buyer protection is out the window.

I was going to send PayPal an email informing them of this practice, but after looking at all of the "Contact PayPal" options, they all seem to be for reporting fraud on your own account.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to report this activity?

Or am I just making a big deal out of nothing?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Watchdog147, and welcome to the forums!

You're absolutely correct that the behavior you describe violates the PayPal User Agreement, and you're also right on the money about the risks to a buyer who goes along with the proposed activity.

If you'd like to report a violation of the user agreement, click Contact Us, then select to email us. The topic should be Report Fraud/Prohibit Use, and the subtopic should be High Risk Business/Prohibited Use Questions. You may then offer specific information about the type of violation and the URL where you detected it.

Thank you very much for helping to look out for situations where unsuspecting buyers might be victimized!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.