Question about Paypal Seller Protection

funk013
New Community Member

Greetings,

I recently sold a cabinet on Craigslist alowing a Paypal payment, and then the people came to my home to pick it up. While at the house, the buyer looked over the cabinet, I showed him how the cabinet worked and mentioned that the door sticks, as it has the entire time I owned the cabinet. Additionally, he mentioned a crack in the corner, which I told him I wasn't aware (it was on the top corner, where I hadn't seen it because of the height of the cabinet). Other than that, he didn't mention any issues, packed up the cabinet and took it home. I will admit, I advertised the cabinet being from Havertys, but I guess it was purchased at American Signature Home. In all honesty, I did not know that the cabinet was from ASH as it was given to me as a gift, and I was told it was from Havertys. I was in no way being dishonest or trying to trick any potential buyer. Regardless, it is a solid product and was sold at a significant reduced price regardless of the store it was purchased from.

The buyer is now coming back and saying there are scratches, a broken door, and also mentioning the crack as an issue. They want money back on the cabinet and a threatening to file a disbute if I do not do so in 48 hours.

I do not feel I was knowingly dishonest or sold a faulty product--it's a curio cabinet. Do I have any rights? I feel these people are trying to take advantage of the situation to receive money.

Any advice or information you can provide is appreciated. I had advertised the cabinet twice on Craigslist, one stating ALL SALES FINAL and one I did not list that. I'm not sure which post they responded to when seeking purchase.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Firstly why did you accept paypal for a collect item?

There is no seller protection for items that are collected and that is why companies like ebay state you can put cash on your auction for collect items only.

Secondly if they file a dispute for item received but not as described then paypal may well find in their favour as you did tell the buyer one thing when it was another even if it was a genuine mistake.

However normally they have to have a tracking number to prove delivery of the item back to you and they won't have that if it is to be delivered personally back to you so they may decide not to bother.

But a word of warning IF they file for non receipt of item then YOU would be the one that has to provide a tracking number and as you can't as the item was collected you may well have to refund. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.