Heard recently about a Paypal hacking scam [6/2012]

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

On TV, heard the "tail end" of a story on the news RE: Paypal getting hacked. Obviously don't have all the details. Is this true and if so, what are the details? Tried Googling info, can't find anything BUT did find this link:

<link removed>

"How to hack Paypal accounts"

Just went to the site but decided not to stay or read anything. My paranoia!

Just hope it can't be done. Paypal IZ THEE only payment method I use. Don't even use credit cards.

Anyone know what's going on RE: the info in this post?

Ellen

Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

LasVegasCandy
Contributor
Contributor

In reply to your question about paypal seller account. It was my paypal account that was apparently hacked. I only had about $60 some dollars in cash --- and they printed postage for $59 something. They seem to like that amount. As a side note, I did get refunded by Paypal (thank you Paypal) --- however, in this day and age, I simply cannot understand why a "SCANNED" package with a UPC code label cannot be stopped in its tracks by simply cancelling the label. I cancelled the label BEFORE IT WAS DROPPED OFF AT THE POST OFFICE!!!!!!! Then SOMEONE SCANNED IT, AND PASSED IT THROUGH. This does not compute in my mind. Why have tracking then? What if there were hazardous materials in the package???? Could we have had the shipment stopped then?????? It sounds to me like the US Post office is broke as it is, but, they have no problem shipping scam parcels....or is it that Paypal pays them anyway???? Is it public money being lost (taxpayers?) or shareholders of Paypal? (eBay)......

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi LasVegasCandy,

In a situation where you're voiding a label, what is in fact happening is that you're initiating a request for a refund on the PayPal site that we are then passing on to the USPS for their approval. If the label is unused at the time of their review, the refund is granted. The void process is typically used when someone makes a mistake in their postage. When a seller voids a label, they are agreeing not to use it. It is not an instantaneous nullification.

I can definitely understand your frustration. It does seem like, in this day and age, we should be able to make anything happen instantaneously with the click of a button. Often times there are processes in place to make it seem like it's just that easy, when in reality there is a lot of hustle and bustle going on in the background to accomplish the day-to-day actions in your account. Some notable examples are bank transfers, and the aforementioned shipping label creation. In both cases, PayPal makes the process pretty much seamless for you and takes care of all of the details in the background - including all the communication between different companies and waiting for funds to clear and so forth.

Even though PayPal prevents the need to experience the normal delays of inter-company processing in your day-to-day transactions, these delays may be felt in the rare circumstances where a problem occurs. The more hustle and bustle involved, the more delay there is in stopping a process if there's a problem. We still do our best to rectify the issue as swiftly as possible and cover your loss. PayPal covers loss due to unauthorized access 100%. Sometimes that means that PayPal ends up losing money. That's part of our commitment to your safety.

I regret that you've experienced unauthorized activity of any kind. I hope you'll take a look at the previous posts in this thread for tips on preventing anything like that from ever happening again. I'm also very glad to hear that you've had resolution in your situation and that our Protection for Unauthorized Transactions was there to cover your loss. 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bowzerbird
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Again, I want to thank you for all your insight into these issues. Just one more question [I hope Cat LOL]:

You said:

"I'm thinking more about email that's hosted remotely. If it's on your computer and you have no security holes in your local setup, your stored info is probably safe. New traffic is potentially at risk if it's intercepted before it reaches your machine. A fraudster with your password could do that and read unencrypted information."

You're referring to what is called "webmail" i.e.. Gmail, hotmail / yahoo etc. [hosted remotely] and I know that gets hacked all the time. Know more folks who have had AOL, MSN & Yahoo hacked, but interestingly, NOT Gmail. How could they get into the computer using Thunderbird as their client? Keylogger? Bots? Using Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware & AV software, couldn't I scan for "infiltrations" of the malware kind?

Also, Thunderbird uses 126 encryption and I thought that was most adequate.

Hope this is does it with the Q&A.

I printed out much of this conversation and will ruminate over it. Lottsa great info, thanks, REALLY!!! Cat Very Happy  Cat Wink

Ellen

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi bowzerbird,

Malware like viruses and keyloggers are one way, but it's also important to remember that an email passes through a lot of places before it reaches your computer. A sufficiently advanced fraudster might intercept an email at any point along its journey, before it ever reaches your inbox. If the information is unencrypted, it could be read. While your email client uses encryption, the email being sent to you by others may not be encrypted.

That's not to say that there are highwaymen lying in wait behind every virtual tree, or that there are a whole lot of unencrypted emails floating around with useful info. You're taking good precautions, and protecting yourself where and as you can. Keep being vigilant! 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

jmar72
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, my sister-in-law who is a foreginer recently tried to sell a motorbike in the local paper. she was contacted by buyer in USA who told her he would pay by "Paypal" she duly received a notification from, apparently" Pay Pal complete with all their headings and logos, also all the terms and reassurances were EXACTLY as they appear on PayPal.

the E-mail stated that the funds for the motorbike had been received and were "safe" this being PayPal. however the buyer had also included the shipping charges £250 which needed sending by moneygram to the shipper in New York. upon e-mailing PayPal with the recipt No. the funds would be released into her account.

a little worried she tried to contact PayPal for re-assurance. ever tried it ? almost impossible !

However being totally unable to speak to anyone at PayPal, and based on their reputation and the reassurances in the PayPal headed E-mail, which she had seen before on genuine PayPal litrature she followed the instructions. she then received another E-mail stating that customs duty was now involved.

now suspicious I, on her behalf tried, totally unsucessfully, to speak to someone at PayPal who do not seem the slightest bit interested in discussing fraud being committed in their name, as we still do not have a reply.

the matter has now been placed in the hands of the police fraud squad, perhaps they will have more luck discussing the matter with PayPal, at least they are interested in the matter. genuinely  D.J.Martin.  

Login to Me Too

zipdip
New Community Member

Hi I have used Paypal for some years,just recently I bought something on ebay from a trader with some years trading on ebay and when I came to check out my payment from my Paypal to his one was refused,which has never happened before to me,the trader said that his paypal account had been hacked a couple of weeks before so he set up another one and this one has been hacked and Paypal has refused to help in any way,so he has a big problem as ebay insists you offer Paypal as a payment option,I would have thought a company as big as Paypal could when this happens channel all the payments going into a account that had been hacked before into a security account,where only a password known only to Paypal and the account holder could acctivate it,by telephone is needed,maybe Paypal is forgetting that if this thing can happen people may start to change there usage

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.