Can I Get Refunded From An Unverified Account?

xkevlar
Contributor
Contributor

My account is verified. The seller's account is not.

On March 20th, I paid $110 for an item through the PayPal App, and didn't realize that the seller's account was unverified. He shipped two days later (the 22nd) claiming that he printed the shipping label online and shipped without tracking. Anyway, after investigating a bit, I realized that there was a high chance that I was being scammed (Used a fake name, didn't change the status of the item to Sold, etc.). I've contacted the seller and escalated a claim. The seller said he'd issue me a refund on the 4th if the package didn't come in, which is unusual because he didn't even try to reassure me that the hat would surely arrive, but I decided to make the claim asap to be safe.

What I wanted to know was:

1.)  Is there some sort of hold for unverified accounts that would keep him from being able to withdraw my money before I received my item?

If there isn't, then:
2.) If the seller never actually shipped the item and the claim went through in my favor, would I still be refunded if the seller already withdrew the money I sent him? I mean, since his account is unverified, I'd only be able to receive my refund if there are funds in his account, correct?

Thanks if anyone who's had a similar experience can provide me with some answers.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

1.)  Is there some sort of hold for unverified accounts that would keep him from being able to withdraw my money before I received my item?

Usually when Paypal tells a mamber they need to verify their account , they are able to accept funds, but not use them or transfer them to a bank account.

2.) If the seller never actually shipped the item and the claim went through in my favor, would I still be refunded if the seller already withdrew the money I sent him? I mean, since his account is unverified, I'd only be able to receive my refund if there are funds in his account, correct?

Under the paypal buyer protection, if the seller can't prove delivery via online viewable tracking, then paypal will debit the sellers paypal account for the refund.

If the sellers paypal account is drained, then Paypal will refund out of their own pocket.

Login to Me Too

xkevlar
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the info, profdata. I appreciate the response. I was hoping that would be the case (for the latter question), but I read in several cases that Paypal wouldn't do that. But that was when a chargeback was issued, so I guess that's different. I'll update this topic as necessary for anyone who might have the same issue in the future.
Login to Me Too

fhsdar40
Contributor
Contributor

Hello if you could update me if paypal favored you and you got full refund. I recently just got scammed for $2200 i paid the seller. His account was verified. But after paying he stopped responding and never shipped item. Today his account went from verified to un verified. I cant escalate claim until May 16th. But will i get full refund if the seller deained his account and paypal cant get funds from him? How was your case resolved. Please let me know as i am about to have heartache if i lose $2200. thanks

Login to Me Too

xkevlar
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry for the late reply fhsdar40. I got my full refund because after I escalated the claim, the scammer agreed to just let it sit for 10 days in order for me to automatically win the claim. I never confronted him about scamming me, but simply told him my package never arrived and that I would like a refund. He said he could not issue a refund while the claim was open, so we both agreed to wait it out. As long as the item is not a digital item (intangible) you should be able to win your claim since he did not add tracking info. From what I've researched, you're basically in the clear as a buyer if the seller does not provide a tracking number. Something else I'd like to point out is that my scammer was not able to get away with my money within the time period from my payment to the start of the claim; I believe that my money may have been held for a period of time in order to prevent scammers from quickly withdrawing funds. Whatever the case, file your claim ASAP. I feel as though your seller is trying to close his account, but I doubt he can do so with an ongoing transaction. If you used a credit card, talk to your credit card company to do a chargeback; it overrides PayPal's authority and should be able to get your money back. Good luck, please keep this thread updated.
Login to Me Too

fhsdar40
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the update xkevlar. Glad you got your money back. I paid on may 9th and can't open claim until today May 16th. I am pretty sure seller transferred all the money to his bank account because is went from verified to unverified and his name changed. . What **bleep** is Paypal 7 day wait policy. I couldn't open a claim earlier. Also I paid directly through my checking because I am that stupid. I can't communicate with the seller because he is unresponsive. I will open claim today and hopefully I get my money back. I will keep you updated. Thanks
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.