A PayPal website issue which contradicts the seller protection

OlenaS
Contributor
Contributor

I've sold an iPhone 6 via paypal but faced a fraud and lost £295 pounds. The transaction states that I'm not eligible for the Seller Protection but it wasn't like that before I posted the phone. Furthermore, I've been left with 1 unanswered filled complaint (the replay message states just 'you can call us'). I called a few times and a person who seemed to be the most helpful said 'it's a shame that this happened to you because of paypal's website's issue this will be escalated to the main office' but I called today and has been told that they have no information regarding the escalation.

The paypal policy in relation to the sellers protection states that a transaction must be marked by PayPal as eligible or partially eligible for PayPal seller protection on a “Transaction Details” page. After the buyer (a Polish guy) sent me the money I went to the transaction details page to see if I'm eligible for the protection - BUT the system didn't show me anything about my eligibility. So I decided to call paypal, I spoke to a few people from different departments but no one couldn't see or tell me if I'm eligible for the protection, three advisors even told me that they sure I will be protected, that I should post the item but keep a postage confirmation.

In few days after I posted my iPhone the paypal reversed the payment back as the person who paid said that his account has been hacked. Only after this has happened 'Not eligible' note has appeared on the transaction details page. My respond to the opened reversal case and my uploaded postage confirmation has been egnored. That's why I wrote an official complaint but received a reply which states just 'please call us'.

I called many many times after, each department says we don't deal with problems like yours and no one can respond to my request return MY money back. I filled an action fraud report. As I said someone even told me that they will escalate this to the main office but nothing has been done since. Does anyone knows what I can do?

In the future I would like to see my eligibility Before I will post an item without calling to your helpline, which was not helpfull at all. I belive that paypal's website doesn't work properly furthermore it contradicts the policy and puts all clients at a huge risk.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The Paypal  email did not say you get seller protection but you decided to ship anyway,you talked to several PAYPAL folks and some assured you it is safe.

Thats just verbal talk and often Paypal staff does not know what they are talking about

Login to Me Too

OlenaS
Contributor
Contributor

You're right. The email doesn't say anything about eligibility as well as the transaction details page. Who should tell me if I am? Who should know about this better than the paypal helpline. I would never posted the phone if I knew I am not. My money was there on my account, but in a week's time I have been told to add funds to my account imediately as it was outstanding.
I would say it's realy weird that the eligibility option suddenly appeared after the resersal has been made. Where it was before?
Why nobody in paypal couldn't tell me if I am protected before I posted the phone? The policy and the reality are too far as the website doesn't function properly.
Why paypal keeps advisors who do not know what they're talking about?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

They are not advisors,they are just customer service clerks.

IPhones are the most scammed items on internet, 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I dont know if Paypal seller protection covered account being hacked,thats means it is a fraudulent transaction?identity theft?

seller protection covers item not received,but this is not the case here.

how did you ship to Poland,is there tracking?

may be the Paypal guys will be here to she some light.

(In USA,as long as you can show it has been shipped  to the address,you are covered for stolen or hacked )>????  

Login to Me Too

OlenaS
Contributor
Contributor

The first words on the seller protection page say 'If you are sent an unauthorised payment – for example, from a hacked account – or a buyer claims they didn't receive their item, our Seller Protection policy covers you for the full amount of the payment on eligible sales'. My case relates to a hacked account payment. I got the postage confirmation with a tracking number but paypal doesn't care.
I made an appeal but they decided not to pay as they say I'm not eligible for the protection.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

What does the transaction page say before you sent the phone then, if it does not say whether you are eligible or not?  Do you see a yellow box?  Or a green box? If there is a green box or bar across the page then you are either partial or fully eligible for seller protection.  Something's funky about that it not being eligible after you sent the phone.  You sure you didn't click on some fake link to a site trying to be PayPal?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

OlenaS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Before I posted the phone I went to check if I'm protected on the transaction page. The page say Payment Received and transaction ID, then I could see a table which contained name of the person who paid (which was the same name as the person who contacted me via email) there was nothing at the top as we all used to see (no green or yellow box) no details about the seller protection. The email has the same content. I'm sure I didn't click a fake link as I logged in to my account directly to check things myself. I called paypal several times to find out why it doesn't show me anything but they couldn't see or say either.
I know, the page didn't say that it's OK to post the item but it didn't say if it's not. I made my decision to post trusted relied the advisors. I'm just a mum with a baby who desperately needed some money.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I am afraid you have just gifted someone with an iphone.

You read about iphone scams all the time,sending it to Mexico USPS priority which does not track once it leave the country,sending to a dropoffce place which forwarded the phone to Ukraine and the buyer returns an empty box from the dropoff address with tracking and Ebay refunded him.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.