Why won't PayPal credit work?

Tarawa
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using Bill me later for years and I had to link my account to a PayPal account to use it on various sites. I've done that and the account shows in my PayPal summary page and it's listed as the default payment but when I try to use it as a payment method I get this

Return to merchant and try a different payment method

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the merchant's website and try using a different payment method (if available).

Why? This is happening on all sites I try to pay with PayPal credit. Best Buy, Walmart, Ebay...

Login to Me Too
44 REPLIES 44

sully83699
New Community Member
My account wont work either. Its rediculous. Hours on the phone and no one seems to care. Why give me a $2000+ line of credit when they wont let me use it? Ive gone through all security questions, linked bank, social, debit card and nothing. Pay pal credit sucks to say the least..better off going with another companys credit card and avoid pay pal all together.
Login to Me Too

mwsscs
New Community Member

Same problem. I called anwsered all the questions said it was a security issue and to wait 2 hours for their system to process the changes. I paid for a game on xbox live and i see it in the pending but when i go to ebay it tells me it cannot process the payment and to try a different method. Very fraustrating.

Login to Me Too

karimorgan
Contributor
Contributor
I'm having the same problems and very annoyed!
Login to Me Too

Natsknacks
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having this issue for a few months now. I have found the only way it works, for sure, every time, is if I have the merchants send me an invoice to my email address and pay through that link. Very frustrating, especially for those of us who use PayPal on nearly a daily basis!

Login to Me Too

Tpollok1764
Contributor
Contributor
Hey! Having this same problem! And they have no definitive answers for me of course, just pretty much wait it out. Does this really work? I'm SO frustrated
Login to Me Too

RebMis

Same thing is happening to me. Has anyone had this issue resolved?

Login to Me Too

TheNMGrannie
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any luck? I am jumping through hops on an account have had for years and cannot get payment to go through!!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

For specific reasons you will need to phone PayPal Credit customer service.

You will know that PayPal Credit is an option at purchase time when it so presents itself.

You could also review your financial status, credit score, avialble credit from all sources, and make sure your credit score if over 800.

Login to Me Too

sadieb811
Contributor
Contributor

And if someone has impeccable credit score that is over 800, what's your recommendation then?

After speaking to actual PayPal reps on the phone, they didnt seem to know anything about the "credit score over 800" information, not saying they know everything, but I'm pretty sure that's not the reason because even though it seems Paypal can care less about customers and more about margins, having to have an 800 would probably cut the revenue they receive from their credit products in third.  And seeing how their credit products make up more and more of their revenue, I sincerely doubt they would ever make anyone maintain an 800 credit score, unless it ws for a completely different (nd exclusive) credit program like that of Mastercard Black or whatever.

You may want to just leave it at "credit behavior" when responding to people since no one else, including full-tie Paypal reps, are able to confirm your notion.

In the end, you're either too new or you did something to make their system think you're shady, whether you meant to or not.  Your best bet is to just not try to use it for a while, and then try to purchase something small (that does not conflict with their list of approved items) from a reputable merchnt to get the ball rolling, like a Target Best Buy or WalMart.

Now, this still won't work for everyone.  I've only had my account for 3 days and STILL HAVE NOT been able to purchase an $8 item from Walmart but have a $4/5k credit line, and none of it has been used yet.

It simply comes down to Paypal reserving the right to decline you whenever they feel like it.

Or that is a cover for an enormous glitch they find too expensive or time consuming to address.

Either way, the consumer gets the Paypal boot.

Login to Me Too

burce75

Great call, my thoughts exactly!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.