Why won't PayPal credit work?

Tarawa
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using Bill me later for years and I had to link my account to a PayPal account to use it on various sites. I've done that and the account shows in my PayPal summary page and it's listed as the default payment but when I try to use it as a payment method I get this

Return to merchant and try a different payment method

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the merchant's website and try using a different payment method (if available).

Why? This is happening on all sites I try to pay with PayPal credit. Best Buy, Walmart, Ebay...

Login to Me Too
44 REPLIES 44

Michelle91
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing here its really frustrating why do you give someone credit and I'm not allowed to use it i always heard good stuff about Paypal from others but right now im not that impress been on phone for hours sent many emails very unsatisfied
Login to Me Too

AmericanInverts
Contributor
Contributor
Its true there are plenty of good being said about paypal. Such as paypal made it eady for me to buy something onmine get it then contact them and say oh i didnt like it can you open a dispute and refund me ? All while the merchant now has no choice but to eat the cost of shipping the cost of the product the cost of the fees paypal hit them with and the cost of the taxes they must pay for said product all while the buyer can keep the merchandise at no cost to him amd God Forbif the merchant contests then the buyer screws them by posting a negative review which in ecommerce is your bread and butter but ask any merchant as to their feelings on paypal? Its quite one sided
Login to Me Too

rentatard
New Community Member
It's a endless runaround because PayPal don't want you to know that they pick and choose when you are allowed to use the credit they approve you for. I have called them 17 times in the last 2 weeks and have only made it to a customer service rep twice. And both those times my call was disconnected. Then I email about this issue and how I'm getting disconnected when I call and they just reply with "give us a call".
Login to Me Too

Mikeymikek
Contributor
Contributor
I've been having the same problem anyone figure this out I've called 3 times already
Login to Me Too

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor
Has anyone gotten this resolved? I hate to give out all my personal information like social and birthdate. I was approved ands chose to get a card for the financing I saw on eBay but I cannot use it. Has anybody gotten this resolved? I feel almost like it's a violation of privacy or a scam.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal Credit does not offer a physical card.

Login to Me Too

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor

Right. I know it doesn't offer a card. But, they asked for that information, approved me and now I can't use it. So, why ask me for that information to begin with and say I"m "approved?"

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Osinger

PayPal Credit is not like a credit card or a bank equity loan; each potential purchase is evaluated when you are ready for the purchase.  Your financial situation is re-evaluated each time as will the the purchase product.  When all aspects are good you will be given the option to use PayPal Credit. 

If you want to know why you will need to contact PayPal customer support and ask.

Login to Me Too

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor

I've already called them multiple times. I hate having my credit checked. It is good which is why I want to keep it that way. I get varied answers from customer service. Try, don't try, keep trying all you want. Go with a more reputible seller, etc, etc....My daughter has paypal credit and never had an issue with anything she has bought, now that I would like to by the same things for my grands, I cannot? It just doesn't make sense. I reported to BBB as mentioned earlier and will continue to weekly until I get a straight response from PayPal. I called them and found they also have a way to submit online. I checked my credit report and it shows up no different than a credit card and is going up against what my open available balances are and the check shows up on my report as well just like any credit check. If they are going to limit what I can buy which is video games or electronics (7 grand/teens 12-17), then setting up my ebay account and getting paypal was completly pointless. I'm going to turn 80 this month. If anyone does get a resolution, please let me know. Now that I think of it, possibly age discrimination? I thought it was just my heavy accent....

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You could compare your financial situation to that of your daughter.

Look at each aspect side by side and look for differences.

Credit score number

Number of credit cards

Total credit limit on all credit cards

Available credit on all credit cards

Funds in checking accounts

Automobile loans

Home loans

Equity loans

Number of late payments

Type of product purchased or attempted to purchase

There is a lot more to your financial situation than a simple credit score.

Then, compare your PayPal Credit history to that of your daughter

PayPal Credit has the authority to screen purchases and evaluate risk for each one.  If your item doesn't fit into the good risk category than PPC will not be offered.

Nothing in the security or risk evaluation is related to age.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.