We credited too much to your card

photoguy2
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Hi all.

So today I received an email with the title of "We credited too much money to your card.". It is a legit email from PayPal.

The full text is below. Here is the thing, the debit card in question is one used only for Paypal (Yah for credit unions). I checked my statment, and besides several legit refunds for items I ordered but never recived, there are no credits from Paypal, certainly not $44 worth.

So, what do I do? I assume if I don't let them take the money I get sent to collections and my credit is effected, but it's not theirs to take. I've checked at least 5 times. There have been no credits.

Thank you all for your help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Between June 16 and August 5, 2016, PayPal unintentionally posted 2 credit(s) totaling 44.00 USD to your credit or debit card. We need to correct this error by debiting 44.00 USD from your PayPal account on September 2.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this situation may cause. Our teams are working hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Please ensure that you have sufficient funds available on September 2 to avoid incurring a negative PayPal account balance. If your account balance becomes negative, you can log in to your PayPal account and, next to your displayed balance, select Resolve Your Negative Balance.

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. Thank you for being a PayPal customer""

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Do any 2 of them together equal $44?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Seems legit, agree.  You should find 2 credits on your debit checking account totaling $44 at sometime between 16 June and 5 August. 

You should probably phone PayPal customer service for more information, especially if you don't find the 2 strange credits.

If you do find the referenced credits, just make sure you have funds to cover when PayPal recalls the money.

Login to Me Too

photoguy2
Contributor
Contributor

Will contact PP to see if they'll give me the exact dates.

If I can't find them, do I have any options? Or just suck it up?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Do you have so many bank account transcations betwen those dates that you can't find them?

In any case, you'll need to phone PayPal as soon as their office opens.

Login to Me Too

photoguy2
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I'm going to call tomarrrow.

No, I only use this card for eBay. Few few. Less than 40 transactions in that whole time.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Seems like it should be easy to scan the list of any and all credits to your account during that time and then find 2 which add together for $44.

Login to Me Too

photoguy2
Contributor
Contributor

So I printed my statment, and went over it with a calculator and a pen.

None are over $19, so it's actually impossible for there to be two that add to $44.

That being said, I found three that add to roughly $44. However, they were legit eBay refunds.

So, something is fishy. Do you have any suggestions for when I talk to PP tomarrow? They haven't exactly been the nicest and most helpful people in the past...

Thank you all for your responses!

Login to Me Too

ahlanda22
New Community Member

Hey all, I just got the same message. But my account has been closed by Paypal since 2014. I have not used it since then. The email is FAKE. I checked the sender's email address and the mailer and its in no way actually Paypal. Call them to be sure. But there are no working links on the email, and thats a red flag right there. I have Gmail and you can click the arrow to see the sender details. See mine below.

reply-to:paypal @ paypal.com
to:e************* @ gmail.com
date:Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 3:45 PM
subject:We credited too much money to your card.
mailed-by:bounce.mkt2944.com
signed-by:paypal.com
unsubscribe:Unsubscribe from this sender
encryption:

Standard (TLS) Learn more

I dont think its them. But then it does say it was "signed by paypal.com" But most of the emails from paypal aren't from paypal @ paypal.com. When they send emails, its from SERVICE @ paypal.com. Let us know what happens when you call. Im not too worried about it. All of my cards on the account are expired already. Lol

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting that!  It's very informative -- and helpful!

🙂

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

could it be possible Paypal refund both your PAYPAL account and your credit card?

Did you pay $44 with your credit card via Paypal?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.