Use PayPal to checkout at Home Depot

Specialized1956
New Community Member

I am going to start out by saying that I have read - and tried - all of the links in related threads.  At this point I assume that this was a project that didn't work out between PayPal and HomeDepot. 

The PayPal icon has been on the checkout screens at HomeDepot for at least 3 years now, and I have yet to hear from a single person - online, at HomeDepot, from PayPal,  in real world, etc. - that has ever successufully used this method to pay at checkout for in-store purchases.  About as close as I can come is to buy online, and pick-up in-store.

Please respond to this thread only if you have personally linked your account to a way to pay directly at the register at Home Depot.  I am already aware of the "debit card" approach.  That is not what I am looking for.

I think that I am looking for a "white unicorn", but I would love to be wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

BrendanCO
New Community Member

Can confirm this works! Set up a pin and had a text message come in to verify. Then I just went to Home Depot, checked out with Paypal and it asked for my 10 digit code (or something to that effect) - which is just my phone number. Then it asked for the pin I set up in the app. It charged it to my Paypal Credit and then emailed me an exact receipt. I thought it was very well put together. 

Login to Me Too

EQUP
Contributor
Contributor
Just paid at Home Depot with PayPal. Hit Use PayPal then entered phone number then pin number and wallah. Paid My first time ever and it worked
Login to Me Too

NachoFlores

It seem that the only quick options is to buy a gift card with paypal from the online store of HomeDepot, send it to your email and use it at the local store.

Login to Me Too

9dawgs
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried 5 times now to pay for something at my local Home Depot using the PayPal function.  I'm on my second day.  I wanted to pay for carpet and installation.  When the transaction was denied 3 times, I left frustrated because I knew I had over and above that in credit on my account.  I tried to call but was given the old "we'll call you in 30-50 minutes" recording. So I went home, opened my account on my computer and called the Credit Number instead of the customer service number.  I was told that PayPal has a limit of $1000 for instore purchases.  Ok, so I went back to the store to pay for $1000 worth of the total with paypal and the balance with my debit account.  No joy, still denied.  The cashier tried to enter $950 with the same results.  So I came back home, called the credit number again and was told that since I had tried to make the purchase more than 3 times, my account was locked.  Try again tomorrow he said and everything will be fine.  He also said I could pay for $1000 on PayPal and then pay the balance with another purchase using PayPal.  This is the phone number and pin method by the way as Home Depot didn't show up when I searched for it on my PayPal App.  I got several Autozones and Dollars Stores in the area though.  So today after 24hrs I went back to Home Depot to make the purchase.  I told the cashier to put $950 and then I'd try the remaining balance.  It still denied the transaction... PayPal and Home Depot need to work out the bugs in this system for crying out loud!!  I wound up purchasing 3, $500 eGift cards from Home Depot online and emailing it to myself.  This is a great work around but what a hassle.  I actually almost cancelled my PayPal account...

Login to Me Too

Eddybar
New Community Member
I use it sometimes it works for me but I set it up about 5 years ago
Login to Me Too

mikec05
New Community Member

Are you able to make a payment on your credit card with paypal credit?

Login to Me Too

hondatech739
Contributor
Contributor
I realize this topic is a bit old, but I went through the process of making a primary mobile number and a PIN number and was able to make a purchase today at Home Depot. The phone and PIN numbers can be changed on the App or at The full website. I didn't receive a verification text or anything. Just tapped pay with PayPal, went to the card keypad, entered my primary phone number and pin. Receipt was emailed. No problem.
Login to Me Too

Johnryon1968
Contributor
Contributor
I was able to use it many times. I would enter my phone number as my 10-digit then my pin and tadaaa!!
Login to Me Too

islander473
New Community Member

Just did it at Home Depot 2 hours ago. You don't use the app, you use your phone number. And you don't even need your phone.

At the checkout counter, the cashier selects Paypal as the payment method. The credit card reader shows "Enter a 10 digit number". Punch in the phone number of record for your PayPal account. Receipt pops out, done.

Login to Me Too

djaylulu
New Community Member

Are you seriously telling me that if you are a customer like me who does not have a mobile device, you cant use paypal at the register if you forgot your wallet or cards?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.