PAYPAL RIPPING ME OFF

SAMD123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

i received some money the other day in Canadian dollars.

I am in London UK and my account is run in UK punds sterling

I did not realise I have to agree to accept money sent to me.

That was a surprise but nowhere near as big a surprise as to find that Payapl has arranged with the banks a nefarious agreement whereby if I receive in Canadian Paypal demands it is FIRST TRANSFERRED IN TO US DOLLARS (TERHERBY INCURRING HUGE CONVERSOIN CHARGES) before then converting it in to pounds sterling.

This is a totally disgusting practice and an abuse of your priviledged position as the interface between the two parties in this transaction.

Unless it is agreed that this is totally unacceptable. please be assured, if there is any way I can stop you from exploiting people like this again and again., i will fight this all the way via twitter, government intervation etc. This cannot be allowed.

Sam Deane

London.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SAMD123

Just tell them to send you sterling next time, much easier.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SAMD123
Contributor
Contributor

so that would be ok for you would it? I doubt it

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You can set your preference in your Paypal account in regards to currency accepted ,etc.

Do you sell on Ebay USA ?

may be you have specified payment in US dollar?

Or this Canadian buyer found your item on Ebay USA and agreed to pay in US dollar,thats why you see conversion from Canadian to US TO UK sterling. 

Login to Me Too

SAMD123
Contributor
Contributor

My paypal account is in the UK has always run on UK pounds sterling - they leave it such that you have NO OPTION but to have to convert it ti US dollars and then rob you again converting it to UK sterling.

A total disgrace - and where do you go to complain to this facelss organisatoin. Almost as bad as Amazon.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SAMD123

Yes that would be fine for me if they sent in sterling, in fact that is what i expect if i am selling as the buyer should pay the seller in the sellers currency if that is what the item is advertised in.

They just go to send money > goods > put in the amount > select sterling from the drop down list and then just before they click to pay it tells them how much is deducted from their funding source in their own currency, dead easy.

Also not sure why you had to change it to USD first unless as @lancelotme said you had listed in that or another currency.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I sell on Ebay USA and my items are accessible to UK buyers.

I just received an order from a UK buyer,he paid me in US dollars,my Paypal account is set up to receive US dollars only,so if there is any UKvs US dollar conversion,it is happening on his end.

If you list your item on Ebay USA in US dollars ,the Canadian buyer would have to pay you in US dollars,but if you set your Paypal account to accept UK pounds only,then Paypal wll convert to UK pounds for you.

The Canadian to US dollars conversion should not affect you,the end result is that you are being paid in US dollars,,he is payng for the conversion.

if you list at US$ 50,then you get US $50.  

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you think you are being robbed,then list your item on Ebay UK,then your foreign buyers will pay you in UK pounds,not US dollars or Euro?  

Login to Me Too

christinaarnold
Contributor
Contributor

Here's my experience with Paypal.. My bank account is over drawn by more $1200 for an item that I do not have. I've opened several disputes with no results. I called their customer service line three times.The calls were dropped just as I was being connected to to a customer representative. Basically I've been robbed and nothing is being done about it.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@christinaarnold

So why have you not opened a dispute for non receipt of item?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.