Known Issue: Received payments not appearing in balance

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator
"PayPal experienced a brief technical issue yesterday during a planned system update which resulted in some consumers being unable to see a transaction in their account history after it had processed. And, some merchants may not have received immediate payment.  

The technical issue has been fixed and PayPal is working to have these transactions reflected accurately for both consumers and merchants. 

We apologize for any inconvenience."

Hi everyone,

I know this has been a frustrating issue and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.  I want to assure you this was immediately escalated and is being worked on at a high priority.  We don't have an exact ETA but our engineers are working to fix the transactions affected by this issue as soon as possible.

- Frank

FAQs

Q. Why I cannot see the money in my balance? I am sure that I received a payment because I received the email confirmation.  

A system change last night has resulted in an issue whereby instant bank funded transactions are not appearing on account balances. Once you received the email confirming your payment the transaction did complete but it will only appear in the account balance once this issue is resolved.

Q. Why does the system not allow me to withdraw the payment that I already received?

You will be able to withdraw the funds once the transaction appears on your account balance.

Q. I received a payment, but I cannot see the money in my balance. Should I send the parcel?

Until the payments shows as completed in your account activity log we would advise you not to send out the parcel. We expect this issue to be resolved soon therefore this shouldn't cause any major delay to your parcel send.

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too
406 REPLIES 406

dami86
Contributor
Contributor

No ETA as of yet. They just want us to sit tight and hang in there.

Login to Me Too

zalexander86
Contributor
Contributor

I'll let everyone know when I receive my balance in the system, hopefully other people will do the same

Login to Me Too

dami86
Contributor
Contributor

I'll do that as well. If nothing else it'll let people know that it is being worked on and resolved.

Login to Me Too

zalexander86
Contributor
Contributor

anybody that reads this, please post if you have received your delayed payment in your balance, thank you!

Login to Me Too

tbirdey
Contributor
Contributor

Nope - still waiting......

Login to Me Too

MissAnnThrope
Contributor
Contributor

It's getting there.  I just have one missing transaction at this point.  

Login to Me Too

zalexander86
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have more than one missing transaction in the first place?

Login to Me Too

its_my_money007
Contributor
Contributor

I am also waiting on funds that was sent over 24 hours ago. I received other payments before and after the one that is not reflected in my account balance. I also did not get any email notification of that transaction. I discovered it when I logged in to withdraw money from another transaction after that one. When I saw I had a transaction that I did not get notified and was not reflected in my balance. I have called PayPal twice about this, and it is over 24 hours since funds were sent. I find this completely unacceptable, and I question what is going on at PayPal.

If PayPal has bills to pay without adequate funds, holding others money like this is a way to float funds to cover their bills. Is this really a systemic issue? If it is and effecting so many, why has PayPal done nothing? I have not received any emails or notification from PayPal about a known problem they are working on. I have not seen any news or press releases. I just discovered this thread when I was about to start one myself.

I have filed a complaint with the CFPB since this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks I have had issues with payments being sent, but I cannot do anything with the money. The other was with unclaimed money, I had no means to claim. Though I did click the link in the email, went to PayPal's site and claimed the money. The transaction never appeared till PayPal reversed it, and I used PopMoney instead. I also use ClearXchange at times, and am about to switch to Google Wallet from PayPal. I have long disliked PayPal, and this type of issue is simply unacceptable.

PayPal could issue credits to people who they know they have received money on their behalf. That this problem has spanned more than 24 hours, does not give me any confidence they will be able to resolve this in a timely manner. That they are not issuing credits, making any announcements informing customers of the issue, or any real effort on their behalf. I really question if this is a system issue or something else.

Either system issue or lager, this is a clear case that PayPal is not a responsible business when it comes to other peoples money. It is likely time the government takes some action here against PayPal. They will only take such matters seriously when it effects their bottom line. Right now as far as I am concerned PayPal could very well be benefiting from all this money they are not paying out. Either generating interest in some interest bearing account, paying bills, etc.

At this point the funds will not hit my bank account till Monday 9/12/2016 , for money sent mid day on Wednesday 9/7/2016. That is providing they get the problem resolved before end of business day tomorrow. If it carries beyond that I may not get my funds till 9/13/2016. Though they have no ETA so it could be even longer. They cannot say why a transaction is effected but another not effect. Which seems amounts may have something to do there. I am getting and able to withdraw small amounts, but larger ones I cannot. Which again going back to PayPal needing money for bills. They would need lots of small transactions to equal a large bill, and risk upsetting quite many, and making the issue much bigger. Doing it to some larger dollar transactions makes it less noticeable and they can effect less transactions to get a larger amount of money for some bill.

Does anyone really trust PayPal? Keep in mind most banks were leveraged far beyond any cash or assets on hand, thus the economic collapse a few years back. Who is to say PayPal does not have liabilities in excess of its revenue or assets?

I have never seen any financial institution that separates a balance from a ledger. How money can even be received, yet be de-coupled from the balance makes no sense. Clearly PayPal systems are designed in such a horrible manner it allows for such issues to occur. Which takes their own engineers days to resolve. They need to fire and hire some new engineers. Or not be in the business of handling other peoples money if their systems have such issues they cannot resolve in a timely manner.

No excuse I hear from PayPal is believable. I am a programmer and systems administrator. I cannot see any company I have ever worked with allowing such issues to persist. This is really not acceptable, and action needs to be taken to ensure this never occurs again. PayPal does not seem to want to act on its own. Thus I recommend others file complaints with the CFPB, and maybe if the matter is escalated enough. Paypal will take it seriously and do something. Starting with a formal notification to anyone effected explaining in detail the system issue. Also explaining why account balance is not related to transactions.

Even more interesting, per my request to refund/reverse the transaction. I was told it will make my account negative that amount. So they can refund/reverse a transaction and have that show up as a negative in the balance. But transactions received are not showing a positive in the balance. Which makes even less sense. Nor does that I received money before and after, both those showed in my balance and I was able to withdraw. Is it particular servers, database, etc effected? There should be some technical reason why some transactions are effected and others are not. The fact that PayPal cannot produce any real information as to what the problem is, no ETA to resolution, no action to compensate in the mean time, no notification to customers. That all adds up in my book to PayPal doing something quite shady and using we have a system issue being worked on as a excuse to cover what ever is really going on.

Which if PayPal is struggling and/or going under. We really need to know before we cannot get our money because they do not have it. Just like back in the Great Depression when people went to withdraw all their money from banks. If this is really some technical issue. Then PayPal has many things at their disposal to notify customers, and compensate. Yet PayPal does nothing and asks everyone to wait some arbitrary amount of time to resolve some problem that should not exist in the first place.

Please do not just let PayPal get away with this. Please file a complaint with the CFPB and any other you feel necessary, congress person, senator, etc. I am not one for increased government regulation, but clearly some business are just to big and when they stop carrying about what they are doing to customers, not taking any action to notify, or do what is right for all. It is time the government steps in on our behalf.

Login to Me Too

lablover85
Contributor
Contributor

I also filed a complaint with the CFPB.  It is ridiculous that Paypal can hold our money hostage without recourse.  I would encourage others to do the same.

Login to Me Too

kortik
Contributor
Contributor

@its_my_money007 wrote:

I am also waiting on funds that was sent over 24 hours ago. I received other payments before and after the one that is not reflected in my account balance. I also did not get any email notification of that transaction. I discovered it when I logged in to withdraw money from another transaction after that one. When I saw I had a transaction that I did not get notified and was not reflected in my balance. I have called PayPal twice about this, and it is over 24 hours since funds were sent. I find this completely unacceptable, and I question what is going on at PayPal.

If PayPal has bills to pay without adequate funds, holding others money like this is a way to float funds to cover their bills. Is this really a systemic issue? If it is and effecting so many, why has PayPal done nothing? I have not received any emails or notification from PayPal about a known problem they are working on. I have not seen any news or press releases. I just discovered this thread when I was about to start one myself.

I have filed a complaint with the CFPB since this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks I have had issues with payments being sent, but I cannot do anything with the money. The other was with unclaimed money, I had no means to claim. Though I did click the link in the email, went to PayPal's site and claimed the money. The transaction never appeared till PayPal reversed it, and I used PopMoney instead. I also use ClearXchange at times, and am about to switch to Google Wallet from PayPal. I have long disliked PayPal, and this type of issue is simply unacceptable.

PayPal could issue credits to people who they know they have received money on their behalf. That this problem has spanned more than 24 hours, does not give me any confidence they will be able to resolve this in a timely manner. That they are not issuing credits, making any announcements informing customers of the issue, or any real effort on their behalf. I really question if this is a system issue or something else.

Either system issue or lager, this is a clear case that PayPal is not a responsible business when it comes to other peoples money. It is likely time the government takes some action here against PayPal. They will only take such matters seriously when it effects their bottom line. Right now as far as I am concerned PayPal could very well be benefiting from all this money they are not paying out. Either generating interest in some interest bearing account, paying bills, etc.

At this point the funds will not hit my bank account till Monday 9/12/2016 , for money sent mid day on Wednesday 9/7/2016. That is providing they get the problem resolved before end of business day tomorrow. If it carries beyond that I may not get my funds till 9/13/2016. Though they have no ETA so it could be even longer. They cannot say why a transaction is effected but another not effect. Which seems amounts may have something to do there. I am getting and able to withdraw small amounts, but larger ones I cannot. Which again going back to PayPal needing money for bills. They would need lots of small transactions to equal a large bill, and risk upsetting quite many, and making the issue much bigger. Doing it to some larger dollar transactions makes it less noticeable and they can effect less transactions to get a larger amount of money for some bill.

Does anyone really trust PayPal? Keep in mind most banks were leveraged far beyond any cash or assets on hand, thus the economic collapse a few years back. Who is to say PayPal does not have liabilities in excess of its revenue or assets?

I have never seen any financial institution that separates a balance from a ledger. How money can even be received, yet be de-coupled from the balance makes no sense. Clearly PayPal systems are designed in such a horrible manner it allows for such issues to occur. Which takes their own engineers days to resolve. They need to fire and hire some new engineers. Or not be in the business of handling other peoples money if their systems have such issues they cannot resolve in a timely manner.

No excuse I hear from PayPal is believable. I am a programmer and systems administrator. I cannot see any company I have ever worked with allowing such issues to persist. This is really not acceptable, and action needs to be taken to ensure this never occurs again. PayPal does not seem to want to act on its own. Thus I recommend others file complaints with the CFPB, and maybe if the matter is escalated enough. Paypal will take it seriously and do something. Starting with a formal notification to anyone effected explaining in detail the system issue. Also explaining why account balance is not related to transactions.

Even more interesting, per my request to refund/reverse the transaction. I was told it will make my account negative that amount. So they can refund/reverse a transaction and have that show up as a negative in the balance. But transactions received are not showing a positive in the balance. Which makes even less sense. Nor does that I received money before and after, both those showed in my balance and I was able to withdraw. Is it particular servers, database, etc effected? There should be some technical reason why some transactions are effected and others are not. The fact that PayPal cannot produce any real information as to what the problem is, no ETA to resolution, no action to compensate in the mean time, no notification to customers. That all adds up in my book to PayPal doing something quite shady and using we have a system issue being worked on as a excuse to cover what ever is really going on.

Which if PayPal is struggling and/or going under. We really need to know before we cannot get our money because they do not have it. Just like back in the Great Depression when people went to withdraw all their money from banks. If this is really some technical issue. Then PayPal has many things at their disposal to notify customers, and compensate. Yet PayPal does nothing and asks everyone to wait some arbitrary amount of time to resolve some problem that should not exist in the first place.

Please do not just let PayPal get away with this. Please file a complaint with the CFPB and any other you feel necessary, congress person, senator, etc. I am not one for increased government regulation, but clearly some business are just to big and when they stop carrying about what they are doing to customers, not taking any action to notify, or do what is right for all. It is time the government steps in on our behalf.

My thoughts exactly. No way a functioning financial instituion can show wrong balances for so long. PayPay had so many issues, and promptely transfered them to us, since they got a new CEO and switched to the "new experience", it is not real and can not be explained by any  logic. We need to complain like **bleep**, call them, make them feel miserable, and also, to hit PP with a class action. We need to have PP CEO fired, and everybody else, who is in charge of PP "new" technology. They appear to have people in charge with IQs of chipmunks.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.