17, cannot view my paypal summary. Where will my money go?

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Hello, so as you've read the title, I'm 17 and I use a personal paypal account. I'd like for us to skip the 'disciplining' in replies as I'm looking for an answer or any help with my issue, not a complaint. I've been using paypal for a very long time, with the permission of my parents. I like to do online shopping, and I've had to buy some concert tickets a few times, and I know paypal is one of, if not the most secure, safest ways to do that online. I spend little increments, $5-$35 dollars on a debit card, depending. But recently i wanted to start an online shop, as its something I've always wanted to do. I found Storenvy.com and thought that would be an easy way to get started! So I signed up and had to link my paypal, no biggie. Then I see it says I need to give my social security number in order to make a 'Business Account' and complete the process. I didnt have access to it at the moment so I decided to cancel, unlink my paypal, and try again when I got the chance. Now I'm trying to purchase a monthly subscription to an editing software that I really need. Its only 4.99 and I know I have enough in my paypal summary. However when I went to sign in, I was immediately directed to a page to verify my account using my birth date, address, and ssn. I still don't have my ssn, but started filling it out anyway. When I typed in my DOB a little caution icon popped up saying "You need to be 18 years or older to Sign up." But when I signed up, I was able to do so without giving my birthday? I've tried logging out and in over and over but I keep getting directed to this page. I guess that's what you get with a secure online payment method huh? That aside, now I'm afraid when I do give my ssn and submit, they will take the money I have in my summary. As I understand the age rules, it's still my money, and its a small amount that I'd like returned to me, even if they close my account. I heard some people received an email telling them their funds were sent to their bank account and their account was closed. I do not have a bank account connected to my paypal, so where will my money go once I submit? If anyone would be kind enough to give any help or solutions I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Like I said, I really don't need the reiteration of my actions as I am aware, but thank you for the help. There's no need for that. Also the mention of my parents permission was not an excuse or replacement for the guidlines, it was just a statement, but I can see how you saw it as such. Thanks for replying quickly, I'll be sure to call a professional. Hope you have an amazing day!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your money will be held until your turn 18.  PayPal is not going to keep your money as long as you can provide sufficient documentation to prove your identity when you turn 18.  Now if you used a fake or fraudulent name and/or address it would be different   This is a user forum.  If you need a direct policy answer from PayPal you need to phone PayPal support.   It might be wise to add your SS# now so you can positively identify the account later.  Ask PayPal support.

Youbroke the rules.

PayPal established the rules; permission from your parents did not give you permission to establish an account in violation of PayPal rules.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Like I said, I really don't need the reiteration of my actions as I am aware, but thank you for the help. There's no need for that. Also the mention of my parents permission was not an excuse or replacement for the guidlines, it was just a statement, but I can see how you saw it as such. Thanks for replying quickly, I'll be sure to call a professional. Hope you have an amazing day!
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You posted on an adult forum so you should expect adult responses.  Don't expect adults to be sorry for your predicament.

There are many people in your predicament.  Perhaps you could take a position to help educate them to follow the rules.  You could do a lot to warn other potential underage people to follow the rules.  People can do a lot with what they learn to help others avoid similar situations, even to th exent of educating parents.  Until you turn 18 you can take this learning experience as an opportunity to help others avoid the problem and assuring them that their money will be safe until 18.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.