Using a card with a different name on card than on account.

NIKNAIZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have this situation right here, my mother needed a PayPal, but I had one account registered already using my legal name, but haven't registered any card on my PayPal account and I registered her card on my account.

So, the situation is like this right now - I have an account registered on my name, BUT with mother's credit card, so the account owner and card owner names differ.

Thing is, as of I realized that this may not be allowed, she now worries that her credit card and my account might be closed because of this little mistake I did. How this can be solved? She needs an account to only use within PayPal Balance, I mean, send money to people straight in their PayPal accounts. I don't know, what should I do?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

She's right you could both loosee your accounts.  Your mother could claim to the credit card company that you are using here card fraudulently--and you are.  PayPal could close your account because you are attemting to circumvent their security policies be using a card which is not your own.  This is a seriouc matter.

So, remove the card from your account as quickly as you can.  You may have to phone PayPal cusotmer service for help if you can't do it on your own.

It may be a loose-loose situation.

Login to Me Too

NIKNAIZ
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not using this account. This account is for her own. I just made this account, but she uses it to buy stuff.

EDIT: When I try to remove the card from Money > Click On Card or Profile And Settings > My Money > Click on Update next to credit card, it says 

Sorry — your last action could not be completed.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So, this is your mother's account, but registered in your name?

That make is YOUR account and you frudullently added somone else's credit card to YOUR account.  Is that correct?

I think you need to add a credit card, make it primary, and then remove the other.  If you don't a credit card to add, then you need to phone customer service.

Login to Me Too

NIKNAIZ
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's meant to be an account for my mother. But it's on my name, because I registered this account to be intended to be used by me, but at the end my mom uses it. It has my mother's credit card registered on it,  but my name on the account. Sorry for the confusion.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It doesn't matter who the account was meant for; it is for the person whose name is on it.  What is documented is what matters, not your reasons.

Login to Me Too

NIKNAIZ
Contributor
Contributor

Can I change this accounts name? I will ask my mother to send a picture of her driving license so the name of the account gets changed to match the credit card name, so the account would be hers forever. Can I do it?

PS. This is a business account.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can change the business name, but you can't change the ownership.  It is still YOUR account with someone else's credit card.

Login to Me Too

NIKNAIZ
Contributor
Contributor

What is then Change Name option for?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

To change the business name, not the account holder.  You can't transfer you account to another person.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.