PayPal lost my money

naitxxtian
Contributor
Contributor

I found unauthorized transactions in my account and used contacted PayPal about it using their email feature and "dispute transaction" process.

The unauthorized transactions total to about US$120. The bigger problem happened while I was accomplishing the dispute afterwhich I was prompted to change my password and security questions and answers.

Afterwards, I logged back in to my account and found all my money is gone. My balance was zero.

I knew I had about US$800 in my account but it all just vanished. I've always been confident about PayPal's security until this happened.

How was my account compromised?

Where's my money?

What happened to my balance?

Why and how was PayPal's security breached?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

How were you informed to log into your account and change the password?  Was it an email?

Your post seems to be missing details of what you actually did.

Login to Me Too

naitxxtian
Contributor
Contributor

I initially logged in to check my balance. I was considering withdrawing money to my bank or wait until next week. That's when I found the unauthorized transactions.

I didn't know what to do so I tried to contact Customer Support. using the "Help & Contact" link at the bottom of PayPal's My Account page. I sent an email to PayPal.

I explored the Help Topics and found "Disputes and Claims" and also "Resolution Center". This is when I reported the problem. At this point unauthorized transactions totaled about US$120 and my balance was about US$800.

I got the prompt to change my password and security questions and answers after I accomplished disputing the transactions. It just popped up from the PayPal window right after I completed the "Dispute" process.

After I completed changing my password and security questions and answers. I logged back in and that's when I found my money is all gone and my balance is zero.

PayPal refunded one of the unauthorized transactions on 01-Aug, one is still under investigation.

I haven't used PayPal to purchase anything in many many months except to withdraw to my bank about two or three weeks ago.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Losing money is a serious matter; it requires extremely urgent action on your part.  This means an immediate phone call to PayPal customer service and multiple attemps, even if it means on hold for hours.  It means take immediate action.

Have you receced any emails BEFORE you checked your balance? 

Does anyone else use your computer?

Is your computer location secure from other people?

Have you ever accessed your PayPal acocunt from another computer?

How current are your virus scans on your computer?

Login to Me Too

o7uhou8h

Why should Paypal have anyone on for hours, let alone for multiple "attemps". 

Even if you do get through the person who answers doesn't speak English or have the power to help you, sorry.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@o7uhou8h

Why?  Because that's what it takes.

Is is right?  Absolutely not.  Does it make good business sense?  No.

Do you have a better option to reach a peson?  If so, I think we would all like to know.

Login to Me Too

naitxxtian
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I'll try to call PayPal. But to answer your queries:

I didn't receive any email or message prior to initially checking my balance. My mind just wasn't made up whether to withdraw money to my bank or not.

I'm the only person to use my computer and it's never leaves my work desk at home and nobody else uses it.

The only time I used another computer to access PayPal was when I had to dispute the unauthorized transactions. I borrowed my wife's computer.

I'm using Windows10 and have daily scans with Windows Defender. I only use my computer for MSExcel, reading news on CNN and occassionally messaging on Skype.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.