PayPal disputing claim after it was resolved?

Sarahcat77
Contributor
Contributor

This is going to possibly be long, I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Back in May a client of mine filed a claim against me for over $1,000 dollars after I sent them the item back. They lied and changed the reason for the claim at least 3 times, trying to **bleep** me over. I won the case as I had proof of me sending it back to them and refunding them some of the amount.

Fast forward to July. They've somehow managed to file against me a SECOND TIME. The 180 day window is up at this point. I call PayPal, they're clueless, and a rep tells me there's nothing I can do. I find out it's through their credit card company so I link them to the original claim and PayPal sides it in my favor.

Fast forward to today (August 23rd). I have the daylights scared out of me for the upteenth time as I see "PayPal disputing claim" as an update.

For some proof, here's two screenshots of the second claim, one from earlier this month and one from today.

Earlier: http://imgur.com/a/afHPs

Today: http://imgur.com/a/QSaEf

Is this just PayPal disputing the fees they paid on behalf of me because of the wrongly filed claim? Should I call them about it or is it not worth getting anxious over?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You better keep copy of the tracking which shows you have returned the item back to them,is it signed for?

if so,make copy of the signature

Login to Me Too

WipedOut
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The client is apparently no dumby and the fact they would know they could go as far as appealing a dispute after it was decided tells me they have probably pulled this before on some other person.  

The client files a chargeback and for whatever reason it is decided in your favor, this does not stop them from providing more documentation and going to an appeal with their banks dispute/chareback department.  What i can't understand is the amount of the original transaction was $1350 and they only filed a claim on $900.  Something just isn't adding up here, to me at least.  I can only assume you and the client got heated at one point?  Anger is a funny thing, makes people react blindly.

Login to Me Too

Sarahcat77
Contributor
Contributor

@WipedOut The worst part is that the person who is doing this does not own the account, it's his 24-year-old daughter's account who he paid to buy the item and he's upset because I refunded her the product and some of the money. Confusing, I realize, but he's now trying to steal from me. I wish PayPal would freeze their account over this OR the fact that he's using someone else's account.

There has been two claims filed against me and both were sided in my favor by PayPal. I provided documents showing I sent them a refund and the product, the client could not prove any of the things they wrongly filed against me. 

The client is not angered with me, the father is and he was not part of the transaction. 

It would appear you're only trying to pull apart the situation more rather than to decifer what PayPal has said in regards to the update of the claim. Please stay on topic. 

Login to Me Too

WipedOut
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sarahcat77

Not trying to pull apart the situation, just seems like something didn't add up but knowing there are multiple parties involved does shed more light on it.  

Here is what is probably going on right now, PP is not really too involved in the dispute process at this point.  You see if this was really a dispute appeal, you can only dispute once with your CC but the appeal still counts on that one chargeback hence both chargebacks referencing the same number, PP and you are at the mercy of the credit cards dispute/chargeback department.  While you should be covered under the seller protection since you won the first dispute I don't know if that will only cover the chargeback fee or the 900 in question.  

The hard truth is if they decide against you, your only recourse will be small claims court in the city where the other party lives.  There is not much anyone here or even PP can tell you at this point.  The newest appeal should be decided within 21 days of your notification and at that time give PP about 48 hours to receive notice and inform you.  Bad situation, I know, but don't throw in the towel just yet.  If this person has filed many chargebacks in the past it will count against her in this case and from the steps she has taken I would all but assure you she has.  

Take Care

WipedOut

Login to Me Too

Sarahcat77
Contributor
Contributor

@WipedOut I did not issue the credit card claim, the buyer's father did. PayPal sided with me, the seller. Nothing has come up about being sued if that is what you are suggesting, it would be a waste of their time as I am a student and they live on the other side of the United States. They would have to fly over here, find out what county I live in, go to a small claims court and spend a ridiculous amount of time and money attempting to sue me for something I already provided to them.

Login to Me Too

WipedOut
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sarahcat77

I don't think you followed my post or what I was saying at all.  I never said you issued a credit and never said they were going to file suit on you.  Don't get where you got those statements........

Oh well

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@WipedOut wrote:

@Sarahcat77

Not trying to pull apart the situation, just seems like something didn't add up but knowing there are multiple parties involved does shed more light on it.  

Here is what is probably going on right now, PP is not really too involved in the dispute process at this point.  You see if this was really a dispute appeal, you can only dispute once with your CC but the appeal still counts on that one chargeback hence both chargebacks referencing the same number, PP and you are at the mercy of the credit cards dispute/chargeback department.  While you should be covered under the seller protection since you won the first dispute I don't know if that will only cover the chargeback fee or the 900 in question.  

The hard truth is if they decide against you, your only recourse will be small claims court in the city where the other party lives.  There is not much anyone here or even PP can tell you at this point.  The newest appeal should be decided within 21 days of your notification and at that time give PP about 48 hours to receive notice and inform you.  Bad situation, I know, but don't throw in the towel just yet.  If this person has filed many chargebacks in the past it will count against her in this case and from the steps she has taken I would all but assure you she has.  

Take Care

WipedOut

Wiped out.

the first dispute is filed with Paypal,the buyer lost,but she/he got a partial refund.

The buyer did not gve up,she filed chargeback with her cc issuer and Paypal  took care of it and won the case for her,she does not have to do much.

Now it looks like there is some new development and she is speculating may be Paypal has spent some money on this case and now want her to pay them>> 

As for having more than one party involved,the daughter is the buyer and used her paypal account to pay,her father is involved .

Only the OP knows what is going on?

Did she convince the daughter she should be happy ,keep the item and get a partial refund? but the father is not satisfied with the outcome?

Login to Me Too

Sarahcat77
Contributor
Contributor

You guys are reading way too far into this. Can someone answer my question instead of picking apart something that it already explained?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If it had been explained succinctly and well in the first place, no one would have to try to summarize or explain it.  It is still confusing and I haven't seen a straightforward chronology of what happened.

So more picking appart may still be neccessary until we see a simple chronology.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@DPCreations wrote:

If it had been explained succinctly and well in the first place, no one would have to try to summarize or explain it.  It is still confusing and I haven't seen a straightforward chronology of what happened.

So more picking appart may still be neccessary until we see a simple chronology.

well, Wipedout has dropped out or claim he will be dropping out. 

Seller makes custom made good and buyer paid 1350 for a custom made good.

Buyer is a pain in the youknow where so seller just refunded her 900 dollars and sent her some material and told her  to make it herself,keeping 400 for supplies she bought for the order. 

Buyer filed a dispute with Paypal and lost.

Then the buyer filed a chargeback with her cc issuer and lost again.

Now she is appealing the chargeback,

Her cc issuer will decide within 21 days.

I am surprised the seller won on both counts,she did not deliver a finished product ,she sent some material to her customer to make it herself with a partial refund?

What if I ordered a Maserati from Fiat and Fiat deems me a big pain and send me the parts and components and instructions and  a partial refund and ask me to build the car myself?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.