Pay After Delivery - why not available???

omesaara
New Community Member

I have come to LOVE the Pay After Delivery option.  As a person who does NOT own or use credit cards, this was my way of being able to make purchases before the funds were available so that I was SURE they would arrive on time.  But I was HIGHLY dismayed to find this evening, when I went in and made a larger-than-usual purchase in the hopes of not having to pay for it until 2 weeks from now (well AFTER my next pay day!), it was not provided as an option...but it was too late to cancel the transaction, so I had to pay for it anyway!  I would NOT have purchased this item tonight if I had known I wouldn't have 2 weeks to pay for it.  Now I'm financially strapped for the next 2 weeks.  If this is not going to be consistently offered as an option, I WISH that information would be provided IN ADVANCE...before we commit to buy the item!  😞  Not cool.

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

Chevyfan1978
Contributor
Contributor

I assume Pay After Delivery was just something that was being experimented with.  There may have been many who did not have the funds after the 2 weeks so maybe that ruined it for the rest of us.."?"..I have no idea why its gone, but pinning hopes to it coming back may be a waste of time.  Yes, it was quite convenient to have the option, but u also need to think about the money you spend on items you don't necessarily need, simply because u can pay in 2 weeks.  I am guilty of that myself!

Login to Me Too

djtuff514
Contributor
Contributor

I myself had this problem, committed to a payment and pay after delivery was not there when time to check out,  and ended cancelling the order but explained it to the retailer,  and then tried to order the same product from a retail store right after and pad was available, so I guess its available on some merchants and not on others, very confusing,

Login to Me Too

sparkles5276
Contributor
Contributor

My boyfriend was able to use PAD last week, and I wasn't.  He NEVER shops on ebay, just bought something on a whim, and he got the option, while I, who shops on ebay all the time, cannot use it.

Well I guess it is good, now I will be spending much less money on ebay and I won't be using Paypal much at all anymore.  So I will be saving a lot more money.

Login to Me Too

ftm2010
Contributor
Contributor
I used it a lot with no problems -- money was always withdrawn on time. All of a sudden it just stopped working and I was not offered it again. I did a test- I found an item that i wanted to buy that was a BIN with immediate paymnt required so if PAD wasnt offered i was not ruining an auction. I tried to go through the process and it did not work for me. I then asked my best friend and my mom to buy the same item-- not actually buy it but go through the process until PAD is offered or not. Both my friend and mom got the PAD offer but I did not. I currently have no pending transactions so its not a matter of having a large balance pending. I called paypal an they said my account is in good standing. They told me it was te sellers preference also and I told them about my test and also that when you go through the selling process you are never given the option to pick and choose payment preferences. I was then told that paypal wouldn't know about that and that I would have to talk to ebay. The only thing I can think of is it has to do with cases. Has anyone who has had this option disappear file a SNAD or Non-Receipt case recently? I noticed that this disappeared after I file a non receipt case because a seller never shipped an item. Other than that-I have no idea. There must be some sort of statistical model that rules out some people andthey will never release the criteria. I love paypal and loved PAD so I hope to get it back or have them get it to a point where you will know before buying on ebay if it will be offered.
Login to Me Too

sparkles5276
Contributor
Contributor

@ftm2010 wrote:
I used it a lot with no problems -- money was always withdrawn on time. All of a sudden it just stopped working and I was not offered it again. I did a test- I found an item that i wanted to buy that was a BIN with immediate paymnt required so if PAD wasnt offered i was not ruining an auction. I tried to go through the process and it did not work for me. I then asked my best friend and my mom to buy the same item-- not actually buy it but go through the process until PAD is offered or not. Both my friend and mom got the PAD offer but I did not. I currently have no pending transactions so its not a matter of having a large balance pending. I called paypal an they said my account is in good standing. They told me it was te sellers preference also and I told them about my test and also that when you go through the selling process you are never given the option to pick and choose payment preferences. I was then told that paypal wouldn't know about that and that I would have to talk to ebay. The only thing I can think of is it has to do with cases. Has anyone who has had this option disappear file a SNAD or Non-Receipt case recently? I noticed that this disappeared after I file a non receipt case because a seller never shipped an item. Other than that-I have no idea. There must be some sort of statistical model that rules out some people andthey will never release the criteria. I love paypal and loved PAD so I hope to get it back or have them get it to a point where you will know before buying on ebay if it will be offered.

You know what you are 100% right!  I did open a Non-Receipt claim (for a $9 item that  I never got-was never shipped) around the same time that Paypal stopped offering PAD!!  I never put the two together!

Login to Me Too

redheads2cool
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using PAD for several mos now...with no issues...the money was always in my acct when it was time for them to withdraw...now for the last 3 weeks the option is no longer avail...I have emailed Paypal but have not rec an answer as of yet.....very aggravating..

I have also not opened a non receipt claim...so this cant be the issue either...

@sparkles5276 wrote:

@ftm2010 wrote:

You know what you are 100% right!  I did open a Non-Receipt claim (for a $9 item that  I never got-was never shipped) around the same time that Paypal stopped offering PAD!!  I never put the two together!

Login to Me Too

ftm2010
Contributor
Contributor
My hypothesis is: 1. It's temporarily unavailable if you hit your spending limit. On the advertisement, it says up to 10k but not everyone has the ability to spend that much. If you haven't opened any cases this could be what happened 2. Opening a case may suspend your PAD service 3. A problem with your account: negative balance, bad reputation score etc I've also noticed that certain amounts don't go through-- a charge of $500 may not get a PAD offer but you might get 20 pad offers for $25 sales. For me , if I had no pending PADS I would get a PAD offer for a $500 sale but as I spent throughout the month I would stop getting offers for $65 and over and could only get offers for low amounts until some pending payments cleared.
Login to Me Too

sailor1mom
Contributor
Contributor

this past year I have had 3 issues and they have all been taken care of.  and I still was able to have PAD. not a problem at all. 

now what I was told by the customer service is that it was a theory that since paypal has to give out the money to the seller before they get the money from us, from time to time they could get over extended.

now if you think about it, they are not a bank. they do not have unlimited funds.  their funds come from the buyers and the sellers in fees and also in the money being sent.

so if there are a lot of PADs outstanding from all over ebay, then they could get over extended.  since I worked fora bank for 9 years this makes sense.

it is why if you have a business, you know that checks being deposited into a business account have a hold placed on them until the funds get sent or at least 2 business days.  that is so that the bank does not take a hit and the business does not get over extended with the bank.

so we will have to wait and see.   the person I talked to had used the PAD and she was wondering what had happened to it too.  

so I guess time will tell.  but it is a hassle

Login to Me Too

SC1974
Contributor
Contributor

I've contacted paypal regarding this issue several times.  I've talked to Ebay and still no resolution.  It's a broken feature and I've been able to get as far as a Paypal rep realizing that there is a problem and he would look into it.  Just a convienient way to get me off the phone and hope it gets resolved.

Here is the truth about Pay After Delivery.  This feature is a feature offered to YOU the buyer.  Sellers are unaware if this method of payment is being made to them.  I was told (infattically) that the seller has to enable this option on their account and they would not receive payment until I received the item.  Further I was told that if I receive the item then paypal can debit my account before the 14 days in the agreement.  That is just false.  The reps I spoke with first didn't know at all what PAD was and they were trying to either intentionally mislead me or just didn't have any facts available to them.  When I got on with a supervisor he confirmed everything I understand to be true.  A. Only some transactions are eligable, US transactions only. B. The transaction must be below 10,000$. C. You are only able to commit to X amount of PAD transactions at a time.  I've found this to be around 10-12.  D. The seller is paid by Paypal immediatly, while your account has a held transaction for no more than 14 days.  The buyer is the only one who can authorize payment early by logging into their account and paying immediatly for a transaction.  Else the 14 Day hold expires and Paypal debits your bank account.  E. PAD only works on Verified bank accounts, not credit/debit cards.

I've found that the reps don't know enough about what is going on that I have to spend a few minutes explaining through logic that their claims of how it works are wrong.  I purchased from a seller 2 weeks ago and that was the last time PAD was offered to me.  It was 4 Auctions combined and the PAD processed on the 11th.  A week ago, I purchased from the same seller and that transaction was not offered PAD.  So that alone disproves that it's a seller authorized feature.  

Ebay has no way to tell us the buyers if a transaction will or will not be eligable for PAD and that has put me in a situation where I have a 230.00 transaction that I can't complete until payday in nearly two weeks.  The seller has been amicable up to now, but I'm getting no where with Paypal customer service on this issue.  The supervisor told me that he would get back to me in 24-48 hours...I suspect that was yet another dodge.  

If you are having trouble with this feature, don't complain about it here, complain about it to Paypal, and as soon as you start to hear something about how PAD does this or that out of the details above, ask, insist on a supervisor and make sure you are heard.

Login to Me Too

noemiethegreat
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add that I think it definitely is a glitch with the checkout process through ebay. I was able to use PAD with ebay purchases up until a month ago. Instant transfer of funds is the only option available to choose. I just purchased something through etsy which also accepts PayPal and was able to checkout and choose PAD with no issues. There is obviously something wrong and they are dragging their feet to fix it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.