Is this a PayPal Scam?

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling an expensive gold bracelet through both eBay and Etsy. I got a message from a new member on Etsy saying that he wanted the bracelet but was having issues getting the payment to go through Etsy. He wants to deposit the money directly into my PayPal account and is asking my for my PayPal email so that he can do that.

As badly as I need to sell the item, it all sounds a bit fishy to me. Is there any possible security dangers in giving him my PayPal email?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Etsy direct checkout accepts Paypal,Amex,MC,Visa.

If he is telling the truth,you can send him a Paypal money request and ask him to pay you via Paypal.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The first thing fishy to me is "selleing an expensive gold bracelet.

If the payment fails with Etsy, it's likely a buyer card issue.

If you are going to sell directly, rather than a money request, genreate a PayPal invoice which included pictures, all product details (including weight in grams, % gold, halmark, brand, documentation), the description and details are extremely important as they could be needed in a case of a buyer challenge as not as described.  Also, realize there is no guaranteed protection against not as described.  If seller wins such a challenge, buyer will still need to return item and you hope it will be the same one shipped.

Also, add the buyer address to the invoice.  This means you need to request the buyer address in advance; it's extra security.

Is it a scam, probably not known at this point. Is it risky?  Extremely.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There are scams on Etsy,expensive jewelry is what attract them most.as there are many brick and mortar jewelers selling on Etsy.

A new member and expensive jewelry and asking for your Paypal email address,sounds familiar.

He could give  you a fake payment notice trying to fool you to ship !

ALSO,you will be bypassing Etsy seller protection and Etsy fee.

Where is your buyer or rather potential buyer?  

Login to Me Too

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi lancelotme,

Thanks for your reply ..very enlightening.

If he sent a fake payment notice, that wouldn't in itself pull off the scam unless I sent the jewelry ..or would it? If I checked my PP acct balance and the payment was in there, would that be enough to prove a legit sale?

As for the Etsy Seller Fee, that's not something I would circumvent. If he truly cannot use Etsy's checkout due to a glitch on his end, I would call Etsy to explain the situation and ask them to bill the fee to my acct. Not sure what I could do about the Etsy Seller Protection. I probably wouldn't qualify with an off-site purchase but I thought PayPal has it's own seller protections in place as long as the purchase is well documented along with tracking (and Delivery Confirmation).

The potential buyer's profile is rather bare. It says he's into gemstones. He has no listings.
He opened an Etsy account on Aug 10, 2016 under the name Even Arntsen - Says he's from El Paso, TX

He stared communicating from that acct a few days ago, complaining that he couldn't complete the transaction through Etsy.

Today I got a new convo from him saying that he tried opening a new Etsy acct (which he did ).

The new acct is under "Evenrest Arntsen" Opened Aug 26, 2016.

In his message from the new Etsy acct he writes:..
"..direct link to paypal didn't work for me which i have to inform you at the latest. The only way for me here is completing payment via your paypal address account, with that we are secured and a confirmation message will be sent as soon as funds deducts from my account".  

A google search doesn't turn up anything on him.

Sorry so long but that's the full details of what I can report on him.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You can always add money order,cashier check,cash to your payment options just for him.

If you dont get the check in ten days,then just relist the item.

Login to Me Too

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

Great idea. I'll do it.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

DPCreations,

Thanks for your reply. All good advice. Trying very hard not to let my need to sell the item overcome logic.

I' was trying to get him to let me generate a "Request Money" rather than give him my PP email, as he's been asking for. I'm just not certain what he can do with that information. I realize he'll see it eventually with a "Request Money".
If he paid via Request Money, and I verify the funds as good before shipping, can he pull a "Not as Described" or "Item not received"?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you send a money request there will be no description attached; that's why an invoice is critical.

This is all very strrange as you are letting the buyer control how you sell.  This is very suspicious.  It also seems that you do not have sufficient experience in selling risky items and the buyer is managing find a way to reduce your protecion.  I think it's time to stop allowing the buyer to control.  The buyer is coming up with too many excuses about why he/she can/t pay by a certain method.

Just create a detailed invoice and send it to the buyer's regular email address.  If the buyer wants to buy, all he/she needs to do is use the link to pay with a credit card.  It's simple and the buyer is trying to confiuse you with complexities.

As for Etsy, I don't believe there is a problem with Etsy checkout; I think the buyer has a problem or is lying to get you to go with a less protection.  

Again, a gold item is extremely high risk, so be prepared to accept the loss if you continue.

Login to Me Too

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

DPCreations,

You're absolutely right on all accounts. Advice well taken.

I'm sure another, less "fishy" buyer will come along soon.

Many thanks to you and everyone elsoe for your suggestions.

Barb

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.