Invoice Scam?

mmuntean
Contributor
Contributor

I recently bought an item off eBay and the seller asked me to pay via PayPal.  Originally they wanted me to send them the money via friends and family, for obivous reasons I told them I need to pay via eBay or for them to invoice me on PayPal. They sent me an invoice with the item description and even attached pictures, everything checked out okay and I paid it.  Upon looking at it again, I realize that the item I was purchasing is listed on the invoice as $0.00 and there is a blank line item below it for the ammount that I paid.

Is this a scam? If so, am I covered by PayPal protection.

Thanks, 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It looks like very poor judgment on your part.  First, taking the eBay sale eBay was a huge alert for a problem.  Next, paying an invoice with zero product cost was another alert.

Now, you'll need to figure out how to file a dispute if the item doesn't arrive.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I hope you funded the payment with a credit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

mmuntean
Contributor
Contributor

In hindsight you are right, it was bad judjement.  Fortunately, I did pay with a credit card. Would I file a dispute with the credit card company or with PayPay?

I am not s certain the guy is trying to scam me, maybe I am too trustworthy.  He has 100% feedback on eBay and has pulled the item from his store.  In addition, all of his contact information checks out, name, address, phone and matches his eBay location. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

No need to do anything if you think he will actually ship the item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.