Can't send instant transfer via linked bank account?

miss-education
Contributor
Contributor

I've linked my bank account to my Paypal, and it has been verified, but for some reason, I cannot use it to send money to a friend as a "gift". The option to use it is greyed out, and it tries to force me to use my debit card, which is also verified. I have the option of an eCheck, but I want to use the instant transfer so my friend can get the money immediately. Does anyone know what's going on? 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Dutch_guy
New Community Member

I have been having the same issue for some time now. I can't make any payments thanks to this.

I don't even own a creditcard. Does anyone know if Paypal changed anything?

Login to Me Too

greenmoose
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem.my bank account has been my payment method for 8 years and now it doesn'teven show up as a payment option on my ebay account. i spoke with 2 people at paypal who barely spoke english and got no help. they say theres not a problem.

Login to Me Too

CorpLaw77
New Community Member

I've been having the same issue over the past few days. I had the issue once before and it straightened itself out after I tried sending a few transactions through.  So far that hasn't fixed the problem this time though.

Login to Me Too

dkdk909
Contributor
Contributor

@CorpLaw77 wrote:

I've been having the same issue over the past few days. I had the issue once before and it straightened itself out after I tried sending a few transactions through.  So far that hasn't fixed the problem this time though.

I have been using instant transfer for years.  Suddenly, two days ago, my credit card info was the default.  I didn't notice immediately, since I have never chosen that method.  This time, when I chose my bank acct, I saw a message that said payments take 3-5 days to clear, and items won't be shipped until clearance.  Well, until now, I was given the impression (apparently true) that the payment went from Paypal to the seller, and my bank moved my payment to Paypal - almost instantly.  I have always had more than enough to cover, and my sellers were always thrilled to get my payment so QUICKLY!  If there is a new glitch or regulation that is harming that transaction method, I'd like to be informed, BEFORE the credit card on file (that I don't use) is charged.  That card had expired, since I never used it........

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hello all!

Thought I'd try to shed some light on what's happening in these situations.  Before I give that a shot, let me just say that we understand this can absolutely be frustrating.  I'm going to give some general answers as to where this may be coming from.  When all's said and done, there's a very good chance you'll have to give us a call as it's possible we'll need to look over your account to figure out a more specific reason you can't use Instant Transfer.

To begin, let's talk about what Instant Transfer is.  With this feature, PayPal pays your seller for you then we wait the normal 3-5 business days (in the US, longer outside the US) to recoup those funds from your bank.  This option should only be available if you have a credit card on file as well as your bank.  The reason this requires the card is so if the bank transfer should fail (since we don't know if there's actually money there when we pay your seller), we can charge your card and get the money that we've paid out back.

So, that's how it works (if you already knew that, I apologize for wasting your time so far).  Now let's discuss some of the reasons why you wouldn't be able to use this.

• Your credit card is set to expire.  For about a month before the actual expiration date, Instant Transfer won't be available.  This is because if the bank transfer should fail, by the time we get to charging the card, it's no longer valid.  Update your account with a new expiration date or a different card, and you should have that option back.

• Security model.  Our security model has decided that you won't be able to use Instant Transfer for the time being.  You can read a bit more about our security model here.  If you have too many pending payments, meaning we're waiting on too much money from your bank without knowing if those funds are actually there or not, you may not be able to use Instant Transfer until some of those clear.  And before you ask, the concept of 'too much' isn't something we'll be able to share.  The thresholds that PayPal uses to protect it's customers aren't up for discussion. 🙂

• Your credit card is being denied.  Before most transactions, our system runs a 'pre-auth'; this verifies the card is up and running correctly as well as making sure there are available funds on the card.  When we run this, the card  company may deny it for any number of reasons.  If we can't guarantee the use of that card for a back-up, then Instant Transfer will be unavailable until that card is working.  This would be a case where you need to call the card company to figure out why they're doing what they're doing.

Now, these will cover about 95% of every situation where Instant Transfer isn't there.  As with most things, there will always be a couple one-off situations that don't fall into any of these categories.  For those, or for anything else, feel free to give us a call or reach out to us on our @AskPayPal Twitter handle so we can research your account and give you some options.

Andy

Login to Me Too

dkdk909
Contributor
Contributor

AHAH!! I had a feeling it might be my credit card.  I never use it, so it had outdated.  Plus that wasn't the one I wanted to use anyway.  I entered the new info, and voila!!  I could use the bank again.  Thanks for the detailed answer, I don't usually get that much info, and it really does help.

All the best,

Donna

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi dkdk909,

Thank you for coming back to let us know you had resolution! Please come back any time. 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.