Reversal of payment from ebay sale

judychibi
Contributor
Contributor
I am an Ebay seller and on 11/24/2017 I was in my PayPal account checking on something when I noticed a "refund" was given for a purchase made on 11/12/2017.  That purchase was paid and delivered and no case was filed either thru  Ebay or PayPal. 
I called PayPal and the following is our conversations.
FIRST Message from Paypal
Thank you for contacting PayPal. After review of your account and the transaction that was reversed Nov 12, 2017 07:22:52 PST, it appears this reversal was done automatically by our internal security system. We do not have additional details to provide on this reversal as this is proprietary informational regarding our internal process.
MY REPLY
This does not answer my concerns that I was never notified.  When I look at the details It reads "
PayPal reversed this payment because of a dispute or payment review. The money has been returned to the sender's PayPal account."
Please let me know how money was removed from my account without notifying me.  I am taking this very seriously.
SECOND message from paypal
Thank you for getting back to us. Let me go ahead and clarify this matter to you.
There is currently a known issue with funds automatically being reversed to the buyer. I know this may be frustrating and we’re working hard to fix the problem immediately. I personally would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused by this and thank you for your patience.
To make it up to you, we have credited your account for $XXX USD on November 24, 2017 as a one-time goodwill gesture. It was then added to your PayPal balance on the same date.
MY REPLY
Dear Ma,
Let me clarify what happened to you.
Your gesture that you refer to as "making it up to me" is nothing more than returning the money you took (stole) from me.  The $XXX was never yours.  To act like it was a goodwill gesture is unsophisticated.
Had I not been checking my account you would have done just that...stolen the money that I earned from a sale.
There were 2 glitches or "known issues".  One is that the money was stolen from my account by your error and second I was not notified at all.
THIRD message from paypal
I am sorry for the miscommunication on an earlier response. The payment was not reversed because of a PayPal internal system, it was reversed because of a known eBay API issue

The matter has been shifting through each correspondance.  I did contact EBay Developer Relations, and they are not accepting it was their error.
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

NoLoveLeft
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.  See my post on the subject. 

Paypal is refusing to explain what happened, who reversed it, why it was reversed, etc.  I've gotten nothing but a run around.  I've been accused, brushed off and apparently lied to.  I've essentially been told it's my problem and I need to go collect the money yet again from the buyer.  When I called Paypal yesterday my call was sent directly to their collections people because my account is was in the negative by $1.63 as a result of this!  Guess how steamed I am!

Login to Me Too

judychibi
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that you had the same problem.  I used the message system so I have a record of all the excuses.  It's "because of a dispute or payment review".............."internal security system (proprietary informational )"..............."known issue with funds automatically being reversed (that they are working hard to fix{sure}"................"a known eBay API issue".   Any excuse ranging from them to not them. 

Persist and *maybe* they will show *goodwill* and will return the money they stole from you.   Because that is what it is- theft, that no one is accountable for.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It in the news today,Paypal has experienced TIO technical problem and 1.6 million accounts were affected

Login to Me Too

NoLoveLeft
Contributor
Contributor

Damn.  I will be looking for a lawyer.  Who's with me on a class action lawsuit.  They knew and they did what they did to me, they said the things they said to me.  That is as low as it gets, to know you have a problem, to know you've compromised people's accounts and yet you continue to blame ME.  MAJOR class action lawsuit.  I could care less about the $1.63, it's about trust, and transaparency with MY MONEY.  I'd like to think someone at paypal is hanging their head in shame but I know better.

Login to Me Too

judychibi
Contributor
Contributor

TIO is a bill payment merger with Paypal.  Is Ebay a part of this unauthorized access of accounts?

Login to Me Too

NoLoveLeft
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know.  So little information has been released.  Here is TIO's press release URL:  http://www.tionetworks.com/

I know that the phish email I received knew my paypal address and the amount of the transaction so I have to assume they had access to all my paypal info including bank account info.  I doubt after thinking on it and reading that it was limited to 1.6 million.  Why stop there if you have unfettered access to paypal accounts?  Then there appears to be ancillary paypal services not related to e-commerce.  1.6 is probably the tip of the ice berg.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that payments were reversed due to a technical issue. If this has happened to you, please make sure that you contact PayPal customer support to let them know. You can reach customer support by Facebook, Twitter, or phone or email.

I do want to make sure that what @Whac-A-Mole brought up is clarified. The security vulnerability at TIO is limited to TIO and you can learn more at http://www.tio.com/. PayPal's platform is not impacted in any way. PayPal's customer data remains secure.  

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

judychibi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Oliva,

I see from your multiple posts that you are one of the apologizers.  You tell us to facebook, twitter or call you.  I DID all of that.  My replies were like shifting sand. 

These are the answers I got from Paypal

1. yes something happened, but we cannot tell you it is privileged information
2. yes something happened, a known issue and we are trying to fix it
3. yes something happened, but we changed our mind it is not us, it an Ebay API problem.

And then I did contact Ebay developer (API) and they said it was not them.

I fortunately was given the "goodwill gesture" of having the money returned to my account.  And they let me know it was a one time goodwill gesture, maybe because I am a power seller on Ebay and send lots of money your way?  

I see someone in your previous messages asked for a physical mailing address.  I would like the mailing address of the department of the corporate office and the correct department there to send too.

<removed>

I went to the above address.  Oh goodness!  They need an apologizer there,  PAGES and PAGES of complaints.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @judychibi,

I understand your frustration, and I regret that you've had this experience.

In order to ensure an environment where fraudsters cannot disguise false contact information as legitimate contact information for phishing purposes, addresses may not be posted in the community. I can provide you the pathway to find that information by navigating from the PayPal site.

The appropriate way to direct mail to PayPal is outlined in the PayPal User Agreement, which can be found by clicking Legal at the bottom of any PayPal page. The section is "Other Legal Terms," in the subsection "Communication Between You and Us."

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.