I sold something online for $250

I made $240 and Paypal made $10

The item was lost in the mail so I lost:

1.  $60 shipping

2.  $250 item that I had sold

3.  $240 I had to reimburse for the item they bought

TOTALS: $550 LOSS FOR ME

...Now, Paypal is asking that I pay them $10 

They want me to pay their share for the lost item and they sent me an invoice for $10... 

Pretty sure that is illegal...

Also, made a two claims with the US Postal Service (for the lost express item that was stolen by their staff) and when I got to check on the claims, it says neither of them exist.  This is the 3rd package I've sent that has been stolen by the USPS STAFF.

Went to make a 3rd claim at USPS, and somehow the claim page is DOWN.  They aren't even accepting claims now.

Good team USPS & PP makes.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I'm pretty sure it is legal.

You aren't accurately describing what happened

You didn't voluntarily refund which is what you should have done.

Since the buyer had to file a claim in order to get the refund, PayPal had to refund $250 to the buyer.  The problem is thtat PayPal now has to cover the $10 fee so the buyer gets the full amount.

If you had voluntarily refunded PayPal would have reversed the fee and you would be out only the $250.  As it is PayPal refunds the $250 to the buyer on your behalf and then sends you the $10 invoice to cover the fees which were not reversed.

As for USPS, you have provided sufficient details about service and tracking and insurance. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Please,you did not lose $550.

You lost whatever you paid for the item and the $60 shipping.

Yo can submit insurance claim on paper,the forms can be found in post office.

when you filed claim online,did USPS assign a claim number?

you have to tell us more,what does tracking show,as you have seller protection if it is delivered to the buyer address   

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.