ACI Collection Letter

JBar53
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved a Collection Letter from ACI (Coradius Internatioinal) and today a phone message saying they are collecting for Paypal $1328.55, my overdue account balance.  First, my account is current and this is clearly not my purchase.  I also track my Credit report, which remains clean.  I have emailed Paypal twice but get an auto response advising me how to recognize scam Emails.  I can't seem to get any help.  I also emailed Paypal Scam address a copy of the collection letter.  No response.

If this is a simple scam, I will just ignore it.  But has someone created an account in my name AND how can I get Paypal to respond with some substance and a resolution to this problem?

Thanks

Jonathan

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I assume you meant a letter in regular mail.

You need to look at all the details of the letter and then guess at some others.

Is there anything about the letter which matches anything of your records?

Is the name exactly correct?

Is the phone number listed?

Did you ever have a balance owed on PayPal?

As listed on the letter, was this for PayPal funds or PayPal Credit?

Is there anyone in your town with the same name?

You need to be an investigator at this point.

My wife got collection letters in the past for a phone bill which was not hers. As it turned out someone in our town had the same name and was the owner of the bill.  One of the collection letters had indicated for a phone number bill that was never ours.  A Google search revealed the real owner; it was someone we knew also had medical bill debts.  We could also find the address.  The debt collector didn't even bother to do proper research.  I eventually reported to the government agency who contacted the debt collector and got it started.

My point is you need to really investigate.  If it was never your debt do some research to find out who owns the debit.

I forget which government agency handles these but you can submit there.

You could also phone the number on the letter and ask for details but DO NOT give them anything that would help link it to your address.  It probably won't hurt to wait for another letter.

Login to Me Too

JBar53
Contributor
Contributor

I have spent the last week and countless hours answering all the questions you raised though my own research.  I have never had a negative balance, in fact have a zero balance now and all purchases are paid.  I have never sold anything through ebay.  And everything in the collection letter is appears correct and when I return their calls, they ask for my SS # which I will not give them.  They don't give me any information on the charges etc.  

You would hope Paypal had something in place to varify scam letters or a legitimate collection agency.  I can't get any response from Paypal.

I don't need Paypal so this one has ended it for me.  If I can just get a person to resond from Paypal, that would satisfy me!!!

Jonathan

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I know the first thing they ask for when calling is SS#; I would NOT give that either.

Tell them you want details about the debit.

If they fail, then state emphatically that it is not your debt and you want your name removed.

State also that you will be reporting them the the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

I did some research for you; here is the goverment site: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

What this a paper letter or an email?

For an email what was the underlying sender's email address?

I did some Google research.  The company exists and it is a legitimate debit collector so it is not likely a scam.

Was your full name used on the paper letter?

Was there a reference to your PayPal email address?

What happens when you Google your own name?  How many similar names to you find?

Credit collection companies have low cost methods to collect.  The make automated phone calls to anyone with a SIMILAR name to that provided when they purchased the debt.  They do contact a lot of the wrong people just hoping to find the right one.

Again, you need to do a lot of research government and otherwise.  Google is great for the research you need.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

My guess is that PayPal sold someone else's debt to the debt collector and it was someone with a similar name.  The debit collect takes a broad stroke and mails the letters people who MIGHT qualify witht he name.  I don't think PayPal identified you specifically.  Debt collects take a broad stroke to contact anyone close to matching the one on record.

You haven't disclosed any details of the paper letter notice.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Was there a return address on the envelope or letter?  I've had where they don't include a return address; in that case I ignore.  If there is a return address, then you can return a copy of the letter with  instructions to cease and desist because the debt it emphatically not yours.  Do not give any more information than in the letter.

Keep a copy of the letter, scan to PDF, and include that when you fill out th form at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Login to Me Too

JBar53
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the letter has return address and phone numbers. ACI REP said I need to talk with PayPal to dispute charges which are no where in my paypal account.  It is current and in fact has a surplus!  The rep said perhaps someone opened a Paypal account in my name, made a purchase without paying for it.  Really?  

Why is it so difficult to get a response from PayPal or a contact...someone, anyone that can give me some direction?  

Is there a number to call for these issues?  I can't find anything and emails or messages return a response on how to protect against email fraud.  I've made it clear that it is not an email.

frustrating.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

why dont you call the company management and ask if they really represent Paypal?

or find a different Paypal number to call ,if you have a lawyer ask him to contact Paypal.

Paypal is swarmed with cases and their customer service would not be able to do much for you,

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Once a debtis sold to PayPal it is out of PayPal's hands.

Since there is no transaction in your account, there is no issue with PayPal.

The debt is with the collector; you need to address it there.  PayPal cannot go back and un-sell the debt.  PayPal can't change the past; it's sold.

So, it's back to the debt collector; you need to get the debt collector to divulge information.  Better yet get the feds involved.  It wasn't your debt.  The debt belongs to someone else unrelated to you and very likely unrelated to your PayPal account.

Debt collectors do almost mass mailings hoping to find the owner of the debt.  You need to strongly dis-own the debt with ACI.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

just tell them your lawyer will contact them.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.