ACH return fee?

Sbul123456
Contributor
Contributor
I thought I had canceled a subscription to an online ancestry account and then they pulled the money from my bank account and there wasn't enough money left in my account to complete it. They charged 4 different ACH return Fees to my account. Each of $20.00. Which made my account go to a negative balance of $80.00 - Within 3 days. They also took the $11.00 out of the account I had and still say I owe the full $20.00. Why did they do this? How do I fix this?
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Apparently they made 4 attempts to take money from your  bank accout so your bank changes a $20 non-sufficient-funds fee for each one, creating a negative $80.  You would need to ask you bank if they cold waive the NSF fee; they sometimes do that for the very best bank customers.

I don't know what the subscription charges really were; you didn't explain them well.

Login to Me Too

Sbul123456
Contributor
Contributor
Hello! Thanks for answering so fast! I had a subscription to Ancestry that I canceled which was a total of 19.99. That's all I owed to them and it was set up through PayPal. I didn't have enough funds. I had $11.00 in my account and it took that plus took out 4 $20.00 fees out of my account (I'm guessing because it wasn't the full amount). Once on the 17th when the payment was due, twice on the 19th and then today again on the 21st. Equaling $80.00. Will I have to pay the $80.00 plus 20 to PayPal?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The NSF from your bank is a bank fee; it doesn't get passed on to anyone.  You should only see those 4 charges in your bank account.

What are the specific transactions in you PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is 19.99 from Ancestry a recurring monthly charge?

Why did you sign up if there is not enough money in your accounts?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.