Setting up customer fee

CVierow
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way to set up invoicing so that charges are passed on to certain customers?  For example, I am organizing a vendor event and need to invoice the vendors.  However, I don't want the fees deducted from what they send me.  I need them to absorb the fees and pay me the whole reservation payment.  I also have my customers who sometimes pay for their orders through PayPal.  I don't mind absorbing their fees.

How (if possible) can I set up my invoicing to not allow fees for my vendors?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Dustin

Hi CVierwo,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forums!

That's a good question. Fees are automatically deducted when a PayPal payment is received. The only way to charge the fee to the vendor is to increase the amount paid in the invoice. 

- Dustin

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

To add to Dustin's post, what you have in mind is called a "surcharge" however, per PayPal's User Agreement, surcharges are not permitted.  Another option is apply a "handling" fee to cover your costs.  This info is explained in the User Agreement if you're interested:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CVierow wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to set up invoicing so that charges are passed on to certain customers?  For example, I am organizing a vendor event and need to invoice the vendors.  However, I don't want the fees deducted from what they send me.  I need them to absorb the fees and pay me the whole reservation payment.  I also have my customers who sometimes pay for their orders through PayPal.  I don't mind absorbing their fees.

Thanks!

Use a PayPal calculator to calculate how much you have to invoice so all your expenses is included in the price of your services and invoice that.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Thomasatalig11
New Community Member

@CVierow wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Not exactly what you have in mind but, the bottom line is, you cannot avoid paying transaction fees unless all the senders have PayPal Accounts and they all use the "Send Money" feature.  When using the Send Money feature, if the sender uses funds from either his or her PayPal Account Balance or Bank Account, there are no fees.  However, if the sender uses a credit card and/or has a non US PayPal Account, fees do apply. In a situation such as that, either the Sender or Receiver will pay the processing fee.  That's a subject that should be discussed before hand. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.